Coolsculpting side effects?

I'm thinking of going through the procedure my question the fat cells are frozen and killed but after one or tow years if I stop exercising and gain weight where would the access fat go to knowing my belly fat cells are no longer there? How would it look if the fat go to other parts of my body is it going to look like bumps.....or what please explain

Doctor Answers 7

Fat Is Evenly Distributed

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Fat cells are receptacles for excess lipids that are not needed for energy. When you lose (or gain) weight, the volume of fat cells change but the number of fat cells remain the same. With CoolSculpting, there is a 20-25% reduction in the number of fat cells in the treated areas. Since there is less fat cells in the treated area, there is less ability to store fat in the treated area. However, fat is still evenly distributed among the remaining fat cells. Therefore, fat will not reform in other parts of your body instead. We do recommend that you maintain a healthy diet and life style in order to maintain results.

Coolsculpting and side effects

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Coolsculpting is a fabulous procedure for freezing the fat in a given area. The best results are achieved if you get to your ideal weight and have a bulge to freeze. Each treatment will reduce the bulge by twenty percent. There is no down time for the procedure. Unlike liposuction there is no dimpling of the skin or lumps after the procedure. For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience I'm coolsculpting who has all of the new applicators. 

Weight gain post Coolsculpting

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Typically, if you gain significant weight it will disperse in the manner that is typical for you. The remaining fat cells in a treated area can enlarge or shrink depending on weight gain or weight loss.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS
West Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

You might also like...

Gaining weight will go to the fat cells that exist

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Coolsculpting reduces the fat volume.  If you gain weight, your body distributes it in the similar fashion as it has previous to the treatment.  Coolsculpting does not alter your body's physiology and fat distribution as the remaining fat cells can shrink or expand based on your weight.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 93 reviews

Fat redistribution following CoolSculpting

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi billyboy123:

Fat is deposited in various parts of the body according to your genetic instructions and the cell receptors which determine which cells to absorb the fat components.

CoolSculpting (CS) will non-surgically reduce up to 20% of the fat volume treated by each CS applicator. This leaves 80% of the fat cells to create more fat and enlarge the remaining cells. Well performed liposuction can reduce and contour up to 90% of the fat in an area leaving 10% of the fat cells remaining to re-enlarge.

In both cases, you have lost fat. If you eat the same number of calories and don't increase your calorie output, ie exercise, you will enlarge fat cells in the same areas according to the residual fat cell content or re-distribute fat according to your genetic instructions.

I hope this explanation was helpful. All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 103 reviews

Gaining weight after Coolsculpting - where does fat go?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This is a good question.  Taking the answer from the liposuction experience is, you're right, that it could to different areas than it normally would.  Keep in mind that not all the fat cells are gone in the area treated, only about 25-30% with the one treatment, so there is room to deposit fat in the same area too.  The remaining fat cells can get a little bigger and store the new fat.  So in summary, it will still go to the same areas but has the possibility of going to new areas too (where there are fat cells).

Steven F. Weiner, MD
Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 75 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
coolsculpting selectively freezes fat cells to induce programmed cell death. Initially, the procedure was designed to treat stubborn areas of fat in an otherwise fit person. The recommendation was to maintain one's healthy lifestyle for optimal results.
If you have the procedure but then disregards these recommendations, the fat cells in other parts of your body may hypertrophy. With weight gain, the distribution is really all over the body rather than specific bumps.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.