Areola reduction or lollipop breast lift? Hubby is against breast implants. (Photo)

I've always hated my large areoles, I want them reduced to the average size. Breastfed 3 babies and my Breast volume is low. I will be getting a tummy tuck (I have a small hernia).

Areola reduction or lollipop breast lift? Hubby is against breast implants

I do not recommend areolar reduction for the reasons my colleagues have mentioned. A lollipop breast lift will reduce the size of your areolas and raise the nipples. However, I disagree with surgeons who claim to be able to produce long-lasting upper pole fullness with breast lifts - you will be just as 'flat' at the top after your breast lift as before. For this reason I nearly always use a breast implant in combination with mastopexy. Even a small implant will transform the result. All the best.

An areolar reduction will tend to flatten the shape of your breast where the lollipop has a more projected appearance in comparison to the areola reduction alone.

Julio Garcia, MD

Type of Lift

if you aren't going to get breast implants, they are real reduction by itself is not a good operation. It flattens the breast somewhat requires the breast implant around the rest back out.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Areola reduction or lollipop breast lift? Hubby is against breast implants.

In my opinion, a "donut" or Benelli or periareolar lift is a weak lift that works sometimes as long as you are not asking it to result in much of a breast lift and you are only looking for a limited, perhaps 2cm nipple elevation with some attempt at areolar reduction. I also do not think it works very well in terms of shaping the breast...it usually results in some flattening appearance of the areola, and usually needs an underlying implant to fill out and shape the breast. It is rare for me to do this lift without an implant, while I do the lollipop or anchor lift without implants quite frequently. The best lift for you, if you are interested in reducing your areolar size AND lifting your nipple/areolar position AND lifting the breasts so there is less overhang and better symmetry, while avoiding implants, is the lollipop or anchor lift, deciding between the two based on how much breast overhang you have. 

Breast lift option

Thank you for your question.  If you're interested in reducing the size of your areola and ok with a minimal lift (less than 2cm), a circumareolar or donut breast lift (mastopexy) would be a reasonable choice.  Any more aggressive tightening or lifting to achieve optimal perkiness would require a lollipop lift.  Be sure to review your options with your surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue..

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD