Swelling after CoolSculpting, is this normal?

I had coolsculpting on my abs and sides 3 days ago but the area is swelling up its like i gained 1 inch in size so is this normal and if so when will the swelling go away thank

Swelling after CS

Swelling after coolsculpting  is very comon. It is just some post treatment inflammation. It usually resolves after 1 or 2 weeks..

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
Coolsculpting will cause some swelling for up to a week. This should resolve and you will start to see the results in a few weeks.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Swelling after CoolSculpting

Dear billyboy123:

Yes, swelling should be expected following any CoolSculpting session. Part of the healing process includes inflammation which may swell and bruise the are of injury. 

Most patients tolerate the discomfort, swelling and rare bruising. Expect 2 to 3 weeks for it to resolve depending on how swollen you are. Particularly in the lower abdomen, patients have also commented on cramping during the first 2 weeks as well. The following measures should be discussed with your CoolSculpting physician to guide you to more comfort:
  • return to your physician for any significant pain, swelling or bruising
  • tylenol if you have no contra-indications for its use
  • NSAIDs like ibuprofen or naprosyn if you have no contra-indications for their use
  • a binder or compression fitted garment to compress the swelling and splint the skin against uncomfortable movement. 
This usually resolves quickly. All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Swelling can happen after Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an amazing way to reduce the fat in a given area.  There are times, when the abdominal area is treated, that there is some temporary swelling in that area.  The swelling can last up to two weeks.  If you are concerned or have discomfort you should return to your treating physician for examination.

Swelling is normal after Coolsculpting

Though generally mild, swelling in the treated areas after Coolsculpting is quite normal and generally resolves in about 7 days.  If the swelling is uncomfortable, some patients find it helpful to wear something tight, like spanx or some kind of compression or body contouring garment.  If you are experiencing swelling, know that it is normal and if you have any concerns speak with the provider that performed your treatment.

Grant Stevens, MD

Swelling after CoolSculpting

The swelling is a normal response to the treatment. The swelling goes down but the time varies from patient to patient. You should not be alarmed unless you have pain with the swelling. I wish you the best!

Robert G. Aycock, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after CoolSculpting

Swelling is a normal side effect after CoolSculpting and may last up to two weeks. During the CoolSculpting procedure, fat cells are killed in a controlled setting by the cold, and the body elicits an inflammatory reaction in the subsequent weeks to eliminate the dead cells. This inflammatory reaction is what causes the swelling. Other temporary side effects include tenderness, bruising, numbness, tingling and itching. Compression garments and NSAIDs/Tylenol are sometimes used to help with swelling and discomfort. You should speak with your physician if the swelling is severe or persists.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after CoolSculpting Treatment

Yes, it is normal to be swollen for up to 2 weeks following a CoolSculpting treatment, especially if the abdomen was treated. 

Brian S. Glatt, MD, FACS
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Swelling After CoolSculpting

Swelling after CoolSculpting is usually mild. In rare situations this swelling can be more than usual, especially in thinner people. In most cases the swelling completely resolves in 1-2 weeks.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Swelling after CoolSculpting

It is possible to get some swelling to the treated area after CoolSculpting.  Normally, if this does occur, I would say it should not last more than a week or so.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon