I got hair transplant surgery 2 days back. I was told that about 2500 grafts will be used but about 2900 were harvested. (Photo)

They removed the bandages today and the area is painful and looks like it was over harvested. Did I exchange one problem with another?

If you understood you were going to have 2500 grafts harvested, it should not be concerned with over harvesting.

If you understood you were going to have 2500 grafts, you should not be concerned with over harvesting.  If there were transections your doctor probably needed more than 2500 harvest attempts.  This can be common.  If you are still concerned you should ask your doctor.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Pain and concerns about over-harvesting

hairyransThe recovery after an FUE procedure should be pretty fast. Most of my patients feel little discomfortt the next day. So please follow up with your physician if the pain does not promptly subside. It is not possible to guess about over-harvesting since resolution is not adequate. Why did they overshoot the targeted harvest numbers, with FUE  the numbers are close to target, but we usually do a little more to give the patient.
Sincerely,
Bernardino Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Questions about hair transplant

If you are concerned about over harvesting, go back to your doctor and ask him/her directly and you should get an honest answer

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon