Would it be excessive to get a breast reduction/lift in my case, or is there a chance that insurance may cover it?

I'm 21 yrs old, 5'1", 115lb & w/o swelling, a 32C. Due to fibrocystic tissue, I have VERY swollen breasts for 1.5-2.5 wks. When swollen, I spill out of a 32DD. The pain's mostly from heaviness. I feel like I could handle the soreness if it weren't for the extreme size change. I exercise regularly/eat well. No meds/bc. At this point, I'd rather be flat chested for 2 wks if they were a comfortable size the other 2 wks. It has an extreme effect on my emotional state/self-confidence. Help! :(

Doctor Answers 1

Breast reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You may be a reasonable candidate for reduction surgery but it is hard to tell without photos.  The degree of size fluctuation you experience is unusual, and the first thought for me is that you should see your OB/Gyn or an endocrinologist to see if there is a way to better regulate your hormones to help minimize the swelling.  If that doesn't work, then you can consider surgery, although if you are normally a C cup, your insurance may not cover the procedure.  You should definitely see an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon as the amount of tissue removed will have to be determined carefully based on the range of size you experience each month. Good luck!

Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 58 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.