I am scheduled for arm reduction surgery tomorrow. I had it 3 months ago, but the doctor did not remove enough skin.

I am having arm reduction surgery tomorrow. I will not be given any anesthesia. I have been given 3 pills which I will take prior to surgery. Is this an appropriate method for this surgery?

Oral pills for sedation with brachioplasty revision

The big question is how much skin Will be removed, and how extensive the revision is. If it is a small procedure that we'll be done in the office, that is certainly appropriate. If you have any concerns, you should absolutely voice them to your surgeon and make sure that you're comfortable with their answer.

It is imperative that you seek the advice of a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and has extensive experience in brachioplasty / arm lift.

I wish you the best.

Dr. Gabbay.

Anesthesia during touch up

It depends what the medication was that you were given and if local anesthesia will also be used.  You want to feel comfortable and confident during any medical procedure so I encourage you to notify your surgeon of your concerns so that that they can be addressed prior to your procedure.

Camille Cash, MD

Arm Revision

Hello and thank you for your question! What are the pills that you were given? Perhaps it's something to relax you prior to the procedure? It is not uncommon to do minor touch-ups to correct in the office under a local anesthetic. If you have any additional questions, I suggest calling your surgeon's office and discussing the plan again. You should be fully aware of everything going into it. 
Good luck to you!

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Arm Lift - anesthesia

Thank you for the question. I always perform the procedure under general anesthesia or local anesthesia with IV sedation in a properly accredited facility. I would make sure you are seeing a board certified plastic surgeon who does a high volume of this procedure. It is possible to perform the revision under local if only a small amount of work needs to be done. Good luck.

Is an arm lift revision with local anesthesia appropriate

Thank you for asking about your arm lift.

• Most plastic surgeons try to save their patient's money by doing touch-up procedures whenever possible under local anesthesia.
  • It can be entirely appropriate - depending on how extensive the revision will be.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Arm lift

It depends on the amount of skin to be removed, among other things.  It may be possible to remove a small amount of skin under local anesthesia, but i prefer to do this kind of surgery under general anesthesia.  I recommend you seek an opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon, if you have not already

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Arm Reduction Anesthesia

Thank you for the question, Only your doctor can accurately determine the type of anesthesia required for the procedure and you should be part of that decision as sometimes patients are given options.  I personally do not perform this type of procedure without anesthesia. Please seek for a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. 

Orlando Llorente, MD

Arm reduction

Local with pills is ok for small areas.

You should discuss options with your plastic surgeon.

Smaller surgery

If you are having just a small procedure done, this is no need to be put to sleep.  This decision is made by your surgeon based on what they feel you can handle and how much work needs to be done.  I do this rountinely in my practice when I am doing a small procedure, it helps speed up recovery and is easy in some cases for the patient.  It does depend on your tolerance for pain as well.  Good luck.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Revisional surgery.

• Hello, and thank you for your question. If you are having a smaller revisional procedure I think this is quite appropriate. In many instances the surgery can be performed after local anesthesia had been administered with minimal sedation. Best of luck with your revision.

John J. O'Brien, Jr., MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon