I have a sore red patch on my right breast below the nipple. I'm worried I may have a rupture. I wonder if someone can help.

Done on 23/10/2011. No problems until now. Breast feels a bit sore with a burning Sensation. Sensitive to touch. Can't lie on that side without discomfort. The red patch on the breast only appeared 2 days ago. The patches under the armpit have been there for about a week. The shape hasn't changed. I have cohesive gel implants so didn't think I would experience symptoms like this since the contents of course don't spill out. I wondered if anyone could offer me some answers. Many thanks

I appreciate your question.

Please contact your plastic surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend most appropriate treatment plant at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Redness

the redness in the photo needs to be evaluated by your PS. most times it is difficult to determine the exact cause. but you may benefit from some antibiotics. you may need to be seen several times until this resolves. this is not how ruptured implants react.

Sore red patch on right breast

Contact your surgeon's office right away. Pay attention to any fever or warmth on the affected area. Most likely a rupture and not a serious condition, but seeing your doctor right away is always best. 

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

BBA

The best person to help you is your treating physician. I suggest you see them in person or see another board certified surgeon or physician in your area. An in-person evaluation is needed to adequately evaluate your situation and options.

The foregoing information provided is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, it is provided for educational purposes only.
You assume full responsibility for how you choose to use this information.
Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider before starting any new treatment or discontinuing an existing treatment. Talk with your healthcare provider about any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Breast implant rupture

Thanks for your question and hang in there.  First and foremost I would contact your surgeon or if unable to, another board certified plastic surgeon to be evaluated with a thorough history and physical.  I would at least offer some reassurance in that this is not the typical presentation for implant rupture.  Good luck!

Implant Failure

Redness of skin and tissue is not a presentation of implant rupture, but does look concerning for mastitis. See your surgeon ASAP for evaluation and treatment. Best of luck.

Redness near nipple

It looks like from your photos you are developing an infection of the breast tissue. I would contact your surgeon sooner than later for him to see you. You do not want the implant to become infected.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Breast redness

It is sometimes difficult to diagnose from a photograph. Generally speaking, redness is related to inflammation and one of the common sources of inflammation is infection.You still have a breast and skin overlying your implant and they can be invaded by bacteria while the implant remains sterile beneath. It is important that you get started on the appropriate antibiotic therapy for this should it be due to bacteria. I recommend that you see your breast physician in this regard sooner rather than later. Good luck. I

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Red patch below nipple 4 years after breast augmentation

Sorry for your recent breast concerns.   I suspect that you may have early mastitis - an infection of the breast tissue.   It is a common condition and not related to implant rupture.   Would contact your plastic surgeon.   The concern is that we never want the breast implant to become infected.   Evaluation and management by your plastic surgeon should be done sooner rather than later.    Feel better.  

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon