Anesthetic for ankle liposuction. (photos)

I am looking to have lower leg/ ankle lipo but I am worried about having the process with a local only. When I go to the dentist I am given a drip in the back of my hand. I am not knocked out but I am in a very co operative state and drift in and out of consciousness . What this is called in the UK so I can ask my PS and do you still get local anaesthetic . Also how does the local anaesthetic get into my body. There is no reason I cant have a general but feel this route may possibly be better.

Calves/ankles liposuction under tum. local with a little iv sedation is wonderful.

It is so easy to undergo liposuction under tumescent local with a little iv sedation to make you totally comfortable but still awake and able to stand and move in all positions to help your doc achieve the best results.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Anesthetic for ankle liposuction.

Greetings

Thank you for your question and photos. Ankle Liposuction operation is performed under general anesthesia depending on the patients condition and safety.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Ankle liposuction - can I have IV sedation

Thank you for asking about your ankle liposuction.
  • I understand your question -
  • let me explain anesthesia safety.
  • The most dangerous form of anesthesia is what your dentist gives you -
  • Such sedation requires you to keep breathing but lowers your ability to do so.
  • In the USA, to be a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, you can only give such sedation in an Accredited Outpatient Surgery Center or hospital.
  • However, liposuction with local anesthesia can hurt.
  • So talk to your plastic surgeon about local anesthesia with sedation by mouth - not by an iv drip - or in the alternative, general anesthesia.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS