4 year old Juvederm has left me with disfigured upper lip, tried to have it dissolved, little improvement. Is it scar tissue?

I had botched juvederm injections 4 years ago & I still have bulges in my lip & above it (between my lip & nasolabial fold) My new doctor tried to dissolve it & had some success, but not all of it went away, is it scar tissue? Fibrosis? I can't get any definition in my vermillion border because of it. My doctor tried to re-inject some filler to balance the upper lip out a bit, but it's making my lip jut out, giving me a shadow moustache. What can I do? Why do fillers not work for me?

?Scar after Juvederm

Hello, and thanks for your question. It's hard to say what's going on without photos. I recommend an in-person consult with a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for your question Chippers. Juvederm is a filler that can be used to enhance the lips. My patients usually enjoy the results of Juvederm in the lips for 6 months or so. After this time the majority, if not the entirety, of the filler has been metabolized. Granulomas and or scars may occur after a filler, which can be excised. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician