Can Botox to eye area have caused more static lines?

I am 39 and have been getting botox for the last 2 years from the same practitioner. My concern is the lines under my eyes that radiate to the tops of my cheeks. Following my last treatment I have noticed under one eye that a horizontal static line has been created, lower down i.e lowest point of the hollow of the eye. It's a fine line but it's created when I smile. Can this be addressed with a different placement of injections, I am now worried if this is permanent.

Can Botox To Eye Area Have Caused More Static Lines?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after treatment. It is hard for me to give you and advice without seeing any photos. I recommend waiting a full 2 weeks to see your final results of Botox. If after 2 weeks you still have concerns be sure to see your injector for in person re-evaluation. This can be addressed with dermal fillers or different placement of the Botox. Best of Luck!

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Side Effects from Botox

Thank you very much for your question. It is probable that these wrinkles are static lines that have become increasingly noticeable since you started your Botox injections. However, without a photograph, it is difficult to provide more meaningful advice. I recommend that you schedule an appointment with your Botox provider to let him/her assess your results thus far and determine the best course of action to reach your desired results.

Side Effects from Botox

Thank you for sharing your question.  Unfortunately without a photograph it is difficult to offer definite recommends as these lines may not be from your Botox but rather from a lack of volume that may require filler placement instead of Botox.  See an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation. They can best advise you on the best treatment to help smooth these new static lines.  

Botox helps dynamic lines, but does not make static lines worse.

Most people have static lines (permanent creases and lines) and dynamic lines (lines that show up when facial muscles contract)  Dynamic lines are helped by Botox so when they are gone one may focus more on static lines that are left.  Static lines are best treated with lasers, fractional radio frequency devices or peels. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  It is difficult to comment without seeing before and after photographs.  I would suggest that you allow 2 weeks to let your Botox settle in and to see your final result.  At that point, if you continue to have any concerns, please be sure to see your injector for an in-person reevaluation in order to best address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  This could likely be addressed with slightly different placement of Botox or possibly the use of fillers.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

More static lines with Botox

Botox shouldn't really affect static lines much. However, you can ask your provider for their opinion. It might need filler to improve rather than Botox.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

More static lines with Botox

Steven F. Weiner, MD