What is this white mark under my nipple? (Photo)

Hello, I am 7 weeks post-op from gynecomastia surgery. I had lipo+gland excision. I noticed a white, almost puss looking mark directly under my nipple on my left side. Left side also has hard lump under it where as the right looks and feels fine. Left is still slightly tender. Unsure if this is scar tissue or the gland? My main concern is the white puss looking mark. Has anyone seen this before? Is this normal or will it go away in time? Thank you for your time!

White Spot or Lump

I provide different post-op tips to my patients and here are some:

BRUISING AND SWELLING: Bruising and swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will heal.

NUMBNESS: It is normal to experience numbness around the areola and chest. As your body heals, you may notice random bursts of pain in your chest. This is usually a sign that the numbness is subsiding.

LUMPINESS: As you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue.

ACTIVITIES: If your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause pain. Wait at least 4 weeks to begin aerobic exercise.

As with all operations, pain and discomfort varies greatly from patient to patient. Generally, one should expect that pain medication will be required for the first several days. Continuing discomfort can last varying amounts of time.

With any of your worries about the spot you see, it would be best to visit your surgeon to have the area examined to determine if your healing is progressing well. Good luck.

Possible stitch

Thank you for the photos.  At 7 weeks from surgery you may be seeing a stitch irritating the tissue.  In all likelihood, the stitch your surgeon chose was dissolvable.  So this should improve.  Sometimes the offending stitch can be removed in the office. More common questions are answered in the video below.

Tim Neavin, MD

White mark after surgery

Hello, thank you for your question. That bump that you are feeling may be from a stitch or suture. It looks as though it's in the line of the incision (which I assume was partly around your areola). It is normal after a procedure to sometimes feel lumps and bumps along an incision as the tissue heals. The area that you are concerned about looks as though a stitch may be working it's way up to the surface of the skin - which is also common. Your body will reabsorb the stitches that your Plastic Surgeon placed - sometimes, instead of resorbing them, your body "spits" them out. This should get better. If you notice that the area becomes more red, or your pain increases, or the area becomes swollen, these are reasons to suspect something more significant going on (i.e. infection). Otherwise, this looks like part of the normal healing process. I would continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon, however, until things are well healed.