Can I use makeup base to cover the red on the third day of laser resurfacing?

My post op instructions did not say I could not put makeup base on to cover the red, I just read I shouldn't , it's the third day, I cleaned my face, will the makeup hurt me from that one time? Thanks!

Post laser resurfacing wound care

I generally recommend using no makeup over the area that has undergone laser resurfacing until new skin has healed over the area. This typically takes about 1 week depending on the depth of resurfacing, the location and your own bodies healing. While it is healing I recommend you keep the area well moisturized with a bland ointment such as Vaseline or Aquaphour. Good luck!

Santa Monica Dermatologist

Laser Skin Resurfacing

Thank you for your question - it is important to verify recovery instructions with your surgeon and their office. I recommend my patients wait until they are finished recovering before they apply makeup. It is better to apply creams and topical ointments that will quicken your recovery and decrease any discomfort rather than makeup that only improves the appearance. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. 

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

NO make up post laser resurfacing.

Most of the Specialist on this forum will have their own very very specific post op instructions, and this may differ slightly from each other, however if you had resurfacing, your skin is still recovering. Placing make up can 'bury' the minerals and make up base in your skin, and delay healing. There are special make up bases such as LYCOGEL that is specially suited for post- laser procedures, however this has to be recommended by your treating specialist. All the bestDr Davin Lim Laser and aesthetic dermatologistBrisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Make up Post Resurfacing Laser

Your skin is still sensitive right now, it's generally no sooner than a week.  Each patient heals differently so it's best to follow up with your physician on when you are able to put on make up.

Robert G. Aycock, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Makeup after laser

I recommend calling your surgeon for specific instructions. In my practice, we pre-op our laser patients two weeks prior to their procedure and give them specific instructions on what products to use and how long to use them, as well as, when to start applying makeup. That being said, three days seems too soon to be applying makeup post laser. Generally, 7-10 days after the laser procedure is the typical time for patients to start their new skin care routine of moisturizer, sunscreen and makeup.

Clayton L. Moliver, MD

Wash

I suggest you wash the makeup with a mild cleanser (such as Cetaphil cleanser).
Makeup often contains bacteria and can lead to an infection. Contact your doctor if you have discharge or pain. It may take a little longer for things to heal but generally speaking you want to avoid makeup for 5-7 days or until the skin has fully healed.
I hope this was helpful. yours. Dr. David R.

A. David Rahimi, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Make up after Laser Resurfacing

Yes make-up can be used immediately post laser, I suggest you see an expert to determine what make up is best.  Dr. Emer.

Use of makeup after laser

Typically at one week post laser resurfacing is when wearing makeup is okay to do. You shouldn't use one that's been opened prior to the laser treatment and it should only be a mineral based makeup that's breathable coverage and is approved by your board certified plastic or dermatologist.

Thank you for your question and happy healing!

Melinda Lacerna, MD FACS

Can makeup be applied on the third day following laser skin resurfacing?

Thank you for sharing your good question. You should not apply makeup to red skin following laser skin resurfacing. Make sure to keep your skin moisturized and out of the sun.
Good luck,