Over the past 3 years I've given birth to two beautiful kids with c-section. My skin is very loose. What should I do?

If I suck in my stomach it starts to wrinkle up really bad. I've lost a lot of weight after the two pregnancy but my stomach has lots of excess skin. What can I do to regain the elasticity and how can I get my tight stomach back.

Doctor Answers 19

Tummy Tuck candidate?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question. It is important to understand that it is difficult to answer this question without the aid of an in-person examination. You may want to post pictures to help in the formulation of an opinion. A tummy tuck will address any laxity of the abdominal muscle wall, loose skin, and a good bit of the stretch marks, particularly those below the bellybutton. Having said that, you would want to hold off a tummy tuck if you wish to have any more children. Pregnancy after abdominoplasty will certainly undo the gains from the procedure. To what extent is unknown as that would be dependent on varying factors (size of baby, elasticity of skin, muscle retraction, etc.) not under your control.

I would recommend that you consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an in-person examination and a discussion of your goals. I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Extra skin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If you have a significant amount of exces skin then a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty may be the right procedure for you. The long low scar is a great trade off for most woman since it is hidden by most clothing and bathing suits. See a board certified plastic surgeon for consultation.

Loose skin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If you're deemed a good candidate you should consider bs full tummy tuck. Your skin elasticity cannot be improved but your skin can be re-draped to improve your shape. Good luck. 

Dr. B

Tummy tuck + Lipo + Brazilian Butt Lift. Best Procedure for you, Some advices:

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us, about which is the procedure of choice to improve your body contouring.

Congratulations for your children.  

To improve your body contour i recommend you:

Full Tummy Tuck with muscle repair, to correct the sagging skin, excess fat and stretch marks to get a flat and stronger abdomen. I also recommend you to perform a weist and back Lliposuction to improve your body contour, to get better curves especially in the middle area and the waist that bothers you so much, as you said. Finally, I recommend you to perform a Brazilian Butt Lift, (BBL) using the fat that we get with the lipo, and transferring it to the buttocks and hips, to mold and get better volume, contour and Butt projection.

Respectfully, Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD
Dominican Republic Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 307 reviews

Loose skin after pregnancy

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Congratulations on the two new additions to your family.   Unfortunately, many women experience the same problem.  Skin becomes stretched during pregnancy and doesn't return to its normal state after childbirth.   A tummy tuck is the best way for you to get a tight stomach, again. 

Post Pregnancy Tummy

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello there, 
Congratulations on the children.  What you are describing is very common and it sounds very likely that you are a candidate for a tummy tuck.  My best advice is to see a few board certified plastic surgeons for consultations so you can get an honest assessment of what will give you the best results.  A tummy tuck will remove the loose, extra skin that bothers you as well as tighten the abdominal muscles that were damaged during pregnancy.  

Skin elasticity

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Often the amount of skin redundancy and loss of elasticity in the weight loss population requires surgical resection. Each individual loses weight differently and your surgery should be tailored to you. Unfortunately, minimally invasive procedures are often not powerful enough to get the correction you are looking for.

Best of luck!

Ryan Mitchell, MD, FRCSC
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thanks for your question. In-person consultation is necessary to determine what procedure needs to be done, but it seems you might benefit from a full tummy tuck, which works to eliminate excess skin and muscle laxity. This would give you back that tight tummy you had before pregnancy in the hands of a great Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

All the best,

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Loose skin after pregnancy, tummy tuck,

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Excellent question and congratulations on your 2 children!  Happy for you.  As far as the tummy goes, this is a very common concern.  This is why you hear  about such things as mommy makeover and the like.  Fortunately, there are a number of things that can be done and really help you get your "tummy back" and maybe even better.  The classic abdominoplasty or tummy tuck does this beautifully by removing all the loose extra skin and tighten the muscles that have been stretched with the pregnancies.  The results can be quite amazing.  I suggest you visit a board certified plastic surgeon who is a member of ASPS and ASAPS and who has interest and experience in this procedure.  There are a number of options and improvements available for you.  One example is that of "Exparel" which is a long acting "numbing" medicine that has really made tummy tucks so much better for the patient.  Hope this has been helpful.

Paul Watterson, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

A consultation is necessary

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question.  Child birth can frequently leave a woman with the loose abdominal skin you are speaking about.  However, every patient is different and it can be difficult to suggest the appropriate solution without an examination.  My suggestion would be to have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Here at Stillwater Plastic Surgery our consultation process involves many opportunities to collect information on a patient before determining the correct suggested plan of action.  Best of luck. 

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.