I'm 50 and my under eye area is not severe but moderately wrinkled. (Photo)

With the under eye area being moderately wrinkled and affecting my confidence, what would you recommend me doing to get rid of them?

Doctor Answers 7

Under Eye Wrinkle Treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for sharing your question and photo. There are several treatment options available to improve the appearance of the bags you are noticing under the eyes. Most commonly, a hyaluronic acid filler called Restylane can be injected beneath the skin to restore lost volume and make you look more rested. This option is minimally invasive with no downtime and results can last up to 1 year. Alternatively, I have had excellent success in my practice using a Tunable Resurfacing Laser (TRL) to treat the fine lines and skin texture many notice around the eyes. While this option has more downtime, results do last longer than filler alone. In terms of surgical treatment options, you are an excellent candidate for and upper and lower blepharoplasty with fat transposition. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon how will be better able to evaluate you in person to assess your candidacy for these treatment options. Best of luck. 

Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 73 reviews

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This area is best treated with lasers, microneedling/PRP, and fillers. Please see an expert for treatment.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Rejuvenation of the face without surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Many people complain of looking "hollow" under the eyes and having more wrinkles as they age.  Most cosmetic and plastic surgeons agree that we not only have a loss in skin elasticity as we age, but also we lose fat volume (and even bone volume!) and the fat that is there tends to sag or droop, as a result of gravity + time.  Procedures which merely remove skin (facelifts, blepharoplasty, etc.) and pull it tighter, do not address this loss of volume by themselves.  There are several excellent non-surgical skin-tightening devices on the market (Thermi 250 and others) and there is one minimally-invasive device, ThermiTight, which can address the sagging skin.  One of those coupled with injectable fillers would by my recommendation for a non-surgical or minimally-invasive approach.  Obviously, you would need an official consultation and examination, which might change that recommendation, but most people who are seeking to avoid a big surgery are very pleased with the results, as evidenced by the high "worth-it" ratings of those procedures on RealSelf.  I hope this helps you in your research and decision-making; thanks for your question!

Restylane for under eye area

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would consider a filler called Restylane for improvement of the hollows under the eyes.  This can help to smooth out this area and hide the bulging or "bags" of the lower eyelids. I like to inject Restylane in the under eye area with a cannula which is not a sharp needle.  This minimizes the risk of bruising or othe problems.  Make sure to see an expert.
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Eyelid lines

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
All I see in the photo is your forehead but if you have lines you can be injected with Botox but be sure you see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who is very experienced in this area

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Cosmetic Eyelid Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Based upon this one photograph it seems as if you have some aging changes to your upper and lower eyelid skin, puffiness from fat pockets and hollowness under your lower eyelids. You would benefit from an upper and lower blepharoplasty with fat transposition or fat grafting and laser resurfacing. You may also be able to improve this condition with an injectable product like Restylane, however, in the long run I believe that you would have better results with surgery.

Of course, this should be evaluated by an experienced eyelid surgeon.

David Schlessinger, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Wrinkled, puffy lower eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for posting your question and photo. You would have good results with lower eyelid blepharoplasty combined with laser skin resurfacing. It appears that the injection of dermal fillers would not be sufficient to treat the problem. It is best to make an appointment for in office evaluation by an eyelid specialist.
Good luck,

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.