How long should I prepare to be out of work after full TT? I have a desk job.

How long out of work after full Tt

Everyone heals at different rates and have different levels of pain tolerance. I typically suggest for my patients to take the next full week after surgery off to recover and work through some of the soreness. Once you are able to switch from your pain medication to something non narcotic and are able to fully function when driving a car, then you will be fine working your desk job. It will take a while for your energy level to return fully and several months for all of the swelling to resolve. 

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Recovery time following a tummy tuck depends primarily on how extensive the procedure is, whether the abdominal muscle was repaired, and your individual ability to heal. It also depends on your type of work. Following a tummy tuck, most patients are able to work at home during the first week and resume returning to work at a sedentary job in 1-2 weeks. However, in a patient with a strenuous job requiring heavy lifting, I would recommend waiting 4-6 weeks.
You should discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon, who should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.  It is important to follow all of his or her instructions.
Robert Singer, MD  FACS
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after TT

Thanks for your question. The fastest recovery from full tummy tuck, or any tummy tuck with muscle tightening or repair, is 9-10 days. I would prefer my patients to plan for 14 days for return to non-strenous work. 

Time off

in general most patients will need at least two weeks off after a tummy tuck. Most people don't drive for about ten days. Make sure you have a lot of help available for the first week. Good luck!

Return to Work after Tummy Tuck

Within a few hours following surgery, abdominoplasty patients will walk in a slightly bent-over position. Healing after the  #tummytuck will take time. I have my patients out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake.  I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  No lifting or straining.  At three weeks increased level of activity and full, no restrictions, at 6 weeks.

Post Tummy Tuck

Thanks for your inquiry Andrea Patterson. I normally see my follow up patients 1 - 2 days after surgery. A drain is normally placed during surgery surgery which needs to be checked on, measured and recorded by you afterwards. The drain (s) are normally removed after 3 - 7 days. If you feel comfortable going to work your may at your leisure and convenience. Since you have a desk job it is still important to take short walks throughout the day to regain energy as well as wiggling your toes and feet to promote circulation. Hope you have a great surgery! Best of Luck!

Recovering after a tummy tuck

Most patients can return to driving after about a week and work after two weeks. At that point, your only restriction would be know heavy lifting, greater than 15 to 20 pounds. This restriction lasts until about six weeks postop.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Going back to work after TT

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your tummy tuck! Most patients are advised to wait 1 or 2 weeks before returning to work after the procedure. You should avoid heavy lifting or other strenuous activity for 4 to 6 weeks after a tummy tuck; however, since you have a desk job, you should be fine. An in-person examination with a board-certified plastic surgeon is always the best way to assess your needs and obtain a reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

2-3 weeks

Each patient is unique in their recovery after any operation. Thus specific time tables for recovery do not exist. Usually two to three weeks is sufficient time to recover afer tummy tuck. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Tummy tuck recovery

Thank you for your question. Healing after a tummy tuck is usually pretty straight forward.  There is a process of swelling and bruising that peaks at 3 days after surgery and then undergoes the first stage of major resolution in the first 2 weeks after surgery.  The lateer phase of healing takes place over the 2-3 months after surgery where everything really settles and softens.  It is after this time that we are getting close to the final result, though this varies patient to patient. Every surgeon will have his/her own preferences as to recovery for specific procedures. I´d suggest you wait for at least 2 weeks before returning to work.