Tummy tuck: long scar extending from hip to hip.

can a mini tummy tuck be performed along with lipo of the sides in order to minimize the scar??

Maybe

The length of the incision shouldn't be your concern. The adequate removal of the loose tissue should be.  A small incision and floppy remaining abdominal skin won't make you happy.

Maybe

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Mini tuck scars may not be best choice

Hi zoepiper.  The length of the scar is determined by how much extra tissue you have on the sides.  If you deliberately use a short scar, you may have pleats of excess skin on the sides (independent of whether you use liposuction).  A well positioned scar (one that is low and hides within underwear & swimsuit styles) that is not under tension (so that it does not widen), is flat and skin colored will be less noticeable, whether it is short or long, than the pleats that may result.  Talk to your PS about your concerns and they can demonstrate which is best based upon your anatomy.  Good luck!

Mini tuck scars may not be best choice

Mini tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. I routinely perform liposuction with my tummy tuck procedures, whether a full or a mini. Liposuction does not really change the size of the scar that you are going to need to get good results based on your physical exam. I do find however, that liposuction along with tummy tuck allows me to remove more of the loose skin and to keep the incision lower and more hidden. Hopefully you are being evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon!

Ankur Mehta MD

Mini tummy tuck

Ankur Mehta MD

Yes to mini tummy tuck with lipo

A mini tummy tuck frequently includes some liposuction for better contouring. The issue is mostly whether there is any skin laxity in the upper abdomen, or the potential for loose skin after fat removal.

Yes to mini tummy tuck with lipo

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. If you an appropriate candidate, a tummy tuck can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  The belly button can be designed to look natural and have no scars on the exterior.   Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Tummy tuck

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Mini tummy tuck

Thanks for the question, zoepiper.  Yes, liposuction of the waist and flanks is commonly performed with a mini tummy tuck, and frequently with a traditional abdominoplasty.  Candidates for mini tummy tuck usually have  limited skin excess and mild muscle laxity, primarily in the lower abdominal wall.  Consider a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine the best means to achieve your goals.  Best of luck! 

Mini tummy tuck

Mini Tummy Tuck Scar

A mini tummy tuck with liposuction generally has a shorter scar than that of a full tummy tuck.  A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon can help determine the most appropriate procedure for you.

Mini Tummy Tuck Scar

Scar length with mini tummy tuck

Thanks for your question.  Many of my patients have a misconception that a mini tummy tuck means a short scar, and a full tummy tuck means a long lower abdominal scar.  In fact, the length of the scar has to do with the location of the loose skin.  If you have a small amount of loose skin in the central part of the abdomen (just above the pubic region), it can be removed with a shorter scar.  On the other hand if you have loose skin extending well on on to the flank region, a longer scar will be needed if you want all of the loose skin removed.

Scar length with mini tummy tuck

Mini tummy tuck scar

Although a mini tummy tuck does result in a shorter scar, I would not recommend basing your decision on a mini over a standard tummy tuck on this basis. A mini tummy tuck is an option for those in whom only the abdomen below the belly button needs recontouring. Both scars are normally hidden beneath the line of underwear, and both can involve liposuction. However liposuction does not necessarily ensure a shorter scar.

Mini tummy tuck scar