Unhappy with my results. Will I have to pay to have a revision? (Photo)

I'm so unhappy with my results. I feel I have a huge gap, no cleavage at all. They r so small I feel flat in clothes, and one is bigger than the other. I'm so upset I have wasted all that money and can't afford to have another one. Do you have to re pay if unhappy with results x

Will I have to pay for a revision of breast augmentation

Every surgeon handles revisions differently. Most of the time, costs for surgical facility, anesthesia and implants would be the responsibility of the patient since those are outside the control of the surgeon.

Your photo gives the impression that your breast tissue has quite a bit of natural separation in the middle. There are limitations to how much cleavage can be achieved if the breast tissue is far apart to begin with. Putting in overly large implants to create cleavage causes more trouble than one might think.

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with results.

Your surgeon would be the best one to speak with about your concerns.  Your surgeon may have a policy about revisions and a reduced fee whereas a new surgeon wouldn't consider it a revision of their work.  You may not be able to safely obtain more cleavage and additional volume due to your specific anatomy and breast measurements.  Again, the person best to answer this is your surgeon.  Good luck.

Breast augmentation

Certain results ( like more cleavage) may be limited by your anatomy.  If you are unhappy, then you might want to discuss your concerns with your doctor. Best of luck.

Revision Surgery

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear that you are not pleased with your results. Sometimes, there are limiting anatomic factors that prevent women from achieving their desired cleavage with a breast augmentation. Additionally, you may have started asymmetric, and your surgeon may have tried his or her best to get you more symmetrical. Lastly, it really takes at least a full 6 months to a year for your implants to settle, and there is a good chance that things may shift and change. With all that being said, the revision policy for Plastic Surgery varies based on the practice and surgeon; there's a good chance there is something detailing the policy in the information you were given prior to surgery. Or, you can call the doctor's office and ask the front desk to explain it better to you. Most of the time (and again, it depends), you will only be charged for anesthesia and the surgeon will perform the revision free of charge - but, again, it really does depend. There's no harm in asking! Best of luck! 

Thin fat layer

From your photo, you look to be quite thin. This will make it difficult to place implants in places that you might like. Additionally, implants can not 'give' you cleavage, they can only safely give you volume. Best of luck.

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Revision

Every surgeon has their own policy on what they charge for revision work. For patients with wide gaps preop, I offer combined implant and fat grafting for the cleavage area.  Best wishes.

Jules Walters, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with results

I'm so sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the results of your breast augmentation. Without seeing your preoperative photos, it's hard to know how wide your sternum was before surgery. Unfortunately, in patients with very wide breastbones it may be difficult ,if not impossible to narrow that space and have the nipple still reside in the midportion of the breast. If the implants are moved towards each other too much, then the nipple will appear to be positioned on the outside edge of the breast. In some situations, I have had good success using a shaped implant that is wider than it is tall which helps mask this situation. The transition from the chest wall to the breast also will look softer with this type of implant. As far as payment for a revision surgery, each plastic surgeon will have their own office policies, and these should be delineated prior to surgery, in my opinion to avoid this type of unhappiness. I would hope that your plastic surgeon is like me and would not want to have an unhappy patient. I would recommend you go back with the attitude of how this can be rectified and don't start the conversation with the cost. Just a thought. Hope this can be worked out so that you can be happy with your breast augmentation. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS