What should I do if at 6 weeks post op from breast life with implants and my incision isn't healing? (photos)

I am 6 weeks post op from breast lift with implant placement. I have a opening in the t zone which has progressively became worse over last three weeks. My surgeon is aware and debrided my incision on 8/13/16 and removed all the white web like tissue. He told me to use bactroban ointment with non adherent dressing twice daily. I'm continuing to see him but I'm concerned that I see no progress in wound getting smaller. What should I do?

Wound after lift with implants

Thanks for your inquiry, and you are right you have a significant wound. I an unsure if this was due to infection, tension, blood supply, etc.  Your frequent visits to your surgeon are imperative. I wish you good luck.  

Open wound

I can see from your photographs that the vertical limb of your mastopexy incision has come undone.  Whether this is due to too much tension or lack of blood flow, the result still ends up with a large open wound. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource for the treatment regimen to best allow this to heal. We have had good success in our office using PRP and Acell to improve and speed up the healing of this area such that it can be revised back to a straight line in just a few weeks. Follow up with your chosen plastic surgeon is recommended.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast lift with implants - large non-healing area in the incision.

Thank you for asking about your breast lift and implants.
  • I am so sorry this has happened.
  • As I am sure your surgeon explained, this is a serious problem
  • An open wound near an implant can cause infection around the implant.
  • I agree with your concern but wounds can't be managed on-line 
  • They need frequent, direct assessment.
  • You might consider a second opinion from another Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area.