Would a wedge technique be good for me? (Photo)

I have surgery on oct 28 and my doctor has the wedge technique planned out for me and I was just wondering if that is a good technique for me. I would like for my clitoral good to be reduced and my labia minor to be in between my labia major.

What technique is good for you?

There is a trend to have less prominent labia, but this is a matter of choice and there are no medical reasons to do so other than improving your appearance down there. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.

Each surgeon will have their own preferred technique.  In my opinion the trim method would be best for you.  This will get rid of the skin of the labia minora as well as your clitoral hood.  The scar for the trim method runs along the boarder of the labia minora creating a more natural look.  Be sure to choose a Board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in Labiaplasty. This is an important fact to remember when choosing a surgeon

John G. Hunter, MD

"Wedge" labiaplasty

The traditional "wedge" labiaplasty places scars and incisions in un-natural places and predisposes toward scarring which can narrow the vaginal opening.  Labial incisions can be kept along the natural borders of the labia and closed without distorting natural anatomy or function. A "strip" excision which not only reduces the labia minora but addresses clitoral hood excess may be a better option.

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Wedge labiaplasty

Reshaping of the labia is tailored to each woman’s needs. Some women may be candidates for simply trimming the excess tissue and repairing edge of the labia. However, more commonly, I use a wedge or extended wedge technique. This allows us to remove extra skin and tissue where it is most prominent, and bring the normal appearing edges of the labia together. The clitoral hood can also be contoured with the extensions of the wedge. This way, there is no stitch line along the outer edge of the labia, and the pigment (color) and anatomy of the remaining tissue lines up quite nicely. Most women who have labiaplasty with this method heal so well that the incisions are barely visible.

Best wishes-

Would a wedge technique be good for me?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  Both commonly employed surgical techniques - trim or wedge - can achieve a nice improvement in appearance of both your labia minora and clitoral hood.  Be sure that your surgeon is well-verse in labiaplasty surgery as this plays a larger role in your outcome than the technique used.  Best wishes.