My vagina really doesn't seem right? (photo)

my clitoris is really puffy and big and has been like that for awhile now.. i think it looks weird and i'm really conscious of it.. when i was younger i would masturbate and rub it.. this isn't normal right??

Thank you for sharing.  As long as your gyno gives the clearance a labiaplasty with a clitoral hood reduction is definitely a great option for you.  Be sure to choose a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in Labiaplasty procedures.

Enlarged labia and possible clitoris

Thank you for your question and photograph. It is somewhat unclear from the photograph whether your labia are enlarged alone or associated with clitoral enlargement. I would recommend making an appointment with a gynecologist who specializes in cosmetic genital procedures. He (or she) could advise you whether a labiaplasty alone is indicated and if there is clitoral enlargement.  If there is clitoral enlargement, there are tests to find a reason for this condition. If the clitoris is indeed enlarged and it's size is an issue, there are very specialized surgeries  to take care of the problem. Clitoral hood reduction may be necessary also.

Thank you for your question and picture.  I would advise you making an appointment with a gynaecologist, labiaplasty is purely cosmetic, if they suggest that this is the case.  Please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.

The shape and colour of labia vary between individuals and it can grow and change after puberty, childbirth and with age. If the appearance of the labia concerns you and it affects your self-esteem and relationship then labiaplasty can reduce your labia to the desired size and shape to improve your self-confidence.

For some it’s a functional problem where the labia can get caught in clothing and makes it uncomfortable during cycling or horse riding. It can cause excess sweating, irritation and rash. Labiaplasty aims to improve the discomfort and hygiene and allow you to get on with your hobbies and activities.

Some can find intercourse and sexual relationship difficult due to the excessive size of the labia. This tends to not only lower their self-esteem and confidence but also cause intimacy issues due to the discomfort during sex, which can be overcome with a simple labiaplasty procedure.

Labiaplasty (Labia Reduction) is performed under local or general anaesthetic. Our cosmetic surgeons will listen to your concerns and needs and discuss the surgical options which best suit you.

During Labia reduction surgery, the excess tissue is removed to keep the size, shape and colour symmetrical and looking natural with scars hidden within the natural folds of skin, resulting in a defined and neatly shaped labia. For most patients, the surgery takes approximately 60 to 90 mins. The scars are virtually invisible and reduction in the size of the labia not only gives comfort in clothing and during sex but it can also improve the cosmetic appearance of the labia.

All The Best 

Labiaplasty: A Personal Decision

Thank you for your question and sharing your photograph.  I would first recommend evaluation by a gynecologist. Labiaplasty is a cosmetic procedure that may improve one's confidence and resolve physical issues that one may have with an enlarged labia minora.  Clitoral hood reduction may also be indicated depending on the findings on physical examination. Labiaplasty with and without clitoral hood reduction is a personal decision after being well educated on the benefits and risks. I would recommend finding an experienced genital surgeon, which include Cosmetic Urologists, even if it involves traveling.    Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Check with a gynecologist for anything abnormal and if still concerned consider a board certified surgeon

There is a trend to have less prominent labia, but this is a matter of choice and there are no medical reasons to do so other than improving your appearance down there. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.

Genital appearance

Evaluation should begin with your gynecologist, who will take a thorough history and do an exam and see what evaluation needs to be done to make sure there are no abnormalities.   If there is an underlying abnormality, it should be corrected.  Then a gynecologist who specializes in cosmetic correction can evaluate for surgical management if you choose.  Good luck with your steps to rule out any abnormality!

Vaginal Differences

Women have a wide range of normal color, texture, size and asymmetries of their genitilia. This is true of the Vulva and all of its parts, the same as other parts of the body.

Candidates for #labiaplasty and #vaginal surgery include women concerned about the appearance of their genitals, or those who experience discomfort, pain or difficulty with sexual relations.  Moisture can create problems such as yeast infections.

Various specific problems exist with individual patients. These problems may exist at birth or with growth and development. They can occur with childbirth or other trauma to the region. All of these issues can cause a woman great emotional distress that is often difficult to talk about with their partner, friends and even their doctor.

Now, if you find that this applies to you it would be good to seek out a local board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. 

My vagina really doesnt seem right?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  There is a very wide spectrum of normal in a female's anatomy and yours falls within this spectrum.  I would first recommend reaching out to your ob/gyn for an in-person evaluation of your current appearance to ensure no other hormonal or physical factors are at play, such as estrogen/testosterone imbalance.  If no issues are present, then through a labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction you can reduce the overall size of your clitoral region.  Hope this helps.

Enlarged clitoris and prepuce

Thanks for sharing your photo and question.  It appears that you have a large clitoris.  This can be a variant of normal or due to extra testosterone your body has or is receiving.   In some patients it is due to  exogenous testosterone ( i.e. use of steroids typically used by body builders) or endogenous testosterone (an overproduction of testosterone).  I would recommend you see your gynecologist or internist for a hormone workup to see if your body is making too much testosterone.  If your body is making excessive testosterone you need to treat the source of the testosterone first .

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai