When can I start taking anti inflammatory meds after mommy makeover?

I am 10 days post op (TT and breast lift w/Aug)

#mommy makeover #antiinflammatory medications

You need to talk to your surgeon in regards to when it is a good idea to start anti inflammatory medications, every surgeon has their own ways, usually at 7 days postoperatively, if no problems are noted, most patient can restart or start using them.I normally prescribed Ketorolac, which is a NSAID, for the immediate postoperative period in  mommy makeover patients, and recommend Naproxem for almost all my patients after 1 week.

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Resumption of NSAIDs post MM

Resumption of your pre-op regimen marks recovery for any cosmetic procedure, especially for MM.  Check the specifics with your PS, however if you have had a complication free recovery from your TT, breastlift & aug, 2 weeks is generally accepted, as the chance of needing to reoperate is remote.  

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

Supplements and Vitamins to Help

With #cosmeticsurgery such as #abdominoplasty, we have our patients start on vitamins and supplements two weeks before and two weeks after.  We prefer VitaMedica, as we know the content of these surgical support vitamins.  The program includes Arnica and Bromeliad.  Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate. You should be able to start on basic anti-inflammatory medication already, even over the counter ibuprofen or others. If you are worried at all about inflammation, swelling, or other discomfort during the healing process then it is best to see your surgeon in person to have your incisions evaluated for proper healing. 

When Can Anti-inflammatories be Resumed After Mommy Makeover

You should discuss this with your surgeon. For my patients, I want them off anti-inflammatories two weeks before and two weeks after surgery. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Anti-Inflammatory Medications After Surgery

Thank you for your question. Congratulations on your recent surgery. It is always best to discuss any questions and concerns related to your procedure with your surgeon. As always I recommend that the surgeon be a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Mommy makeover recovery

Congratulations on your surgery.  All medication questions need to be answered by your surgeon.  The answer will depend upon how you are doing in your recovery as well as what other medications you are currently taking.

Camille Cash, MD

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Anti inflammatory medications after Mommy Makeover

Thank you for your question.  Our office takes post operative pain management seriously.  Our current protocol includes a pain pump, (with numbing medicine), that will instill the numbing medicine in the area for the first three days after abdominoplasty.  Patients typically move off the pain medicine to Tylenol after a few days.  We try to avoid ibuprofen and aspirin products for a couple weeks post op.  Best to contact your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon as each surgeon will approach the operation and the post operative management differently. 

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Anti Inflammatories After Surgery

Great question! All depends if you still have drains in. I would call your doctor and see what they recommend. We make sure that all patients have all drains out and it must be two weeks after surgery. Good luck!

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Mommy make-over - when can I take anti-inflammatories?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • Great question -
  • It's best to check with your own surgeon but research shows it's ok to take them in 24 hours or less.
  • I let my patients take ibuprofen the day after surgery - and have not had any complications.
  • The combination of acetominophen (Tylenol) and Advil (ibuprofen) has been shown to lessen the need for narcotics and to be as effective as narcotics for most pain
  • Given our narcotic epidemic, the sooner you stop taking narcotics and sedatives, the better for everyone!
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS