Short, upturned nose. Can it be extended? (Photo)

Is it possible to extend my nose and make it less upturned? I have not had any cosmetic surgery, I have always had a small nose and I'm very self conscious about it. I'm interested in exactly what would need to be done to be more proportional to my face. Also, would my chin need work as well (extended) or does it look ok? I will be 38 next month. Thanks for your help!

Can the Nose be Extended?

Hi and thanks for your question and photos.  Yes, there are ways to lenghthen (derotate) your nose.  This is not the most typical type of rhinoplasty that is done and it is more complicated then the typical case.  I have done close to 4000 rhinoplasties and I have done the kind of surgery that you are asking about. The surgery would involve septal extension grafts, extended spreader grafts and a shield graft to your infratip lobule.  If you take a look at patient 48 at the top of the second page of my rhinoplasty gallery on my website, you will see a patient with a nose similar to yours. You would benefit from a small chin implant also. I would be happy to see you for a consultation with computer imaging as you are not too far from my office. Good luck

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can the Nose be Extended?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Extending a nose

It's possible to extend the length of a nose using a tip-lengthening rhinoplasty procedure with the use of cartilage grafts (often called a septal extension graft).  Be sure to discuss your goals and concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon and consider the pros and the cons. Be certain your surgeon is properly certified.  I've attached a link where you can start your search. 

Extending a nose

Short upturned nose

Be very careful what you wish for. To derotate the nose and put extension grafts in and to get the result you want can be quite difficult.  IMO, it might not be worth it.  You do not need a chin implant based upon the photos.

Short upturned nose

Nasal lengthening and tip derotation may be difficult to achieve with rhinoplasty surgery.

Your photos appear to reveal thin nasal skin which tends to be unforgiving with respect to visible irregularities after rhinoplasty surgery. Nasal lengthening and tip de-rotation may be attempted with a caudal septal extension graft which may be stabilized with extended spreader grafts. Consider consulting with several reputable rhinoplasty specialists who are familiar with these techniques, and try to view favorable photos. Hope this helps! Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from derotation of your nasal tip.  This can extend your and give you a more natural look.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon