What could be the cause of redness and pain on skin under nipple (3 months post op) after breast augmentation? (Photo)

I noticed the skin under my nipple on my left breast was red,warm,and tender to touch.If I touch it, it hurts.I thought it was a stitch needing to come out. I had spitting stitches already but they came out and I healed fine.Tried squeezing around the nipple being that that's where the implant was inserted but nothing came out.Instead ended up with swelling and burning sensation/pain.Visiting my surgeon is not an option right now due to the fact that surgery was done in Colombia & I live in TX.

Doctor Answers 5

Redness on breast

This could represent an infection and your implant could be at risk for needing to be removed.  Your only option is to be seen by a board certified plastic surgeon.  You will have to pay out of pocket as your insurance is unlikely to cover cosmetic surgery complications.  Do not wait on this.
Best of luck!

Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

Burning and redness

Burning and redness may suggest an infection and you need to see a surgeon for a proper evaluation. If not, go to the local ER.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

3 Months Post Op


Spreading redness and pain at this point in recovery should be assessed in person as soon as possible- if not with your surgeon then visit a local, qualified Plastic Surgeon.

All the best


It appears that you have cellulitis or possibly a late infection. I would strongly suggest  you consult with a plastic surgeon in your area. It may not be easy to find one who wants to take on problems from surgery done in another country.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Symptoms 3 months after breast augmentation

Healing can take 8-12 weeks for most patients.  During this period, the increased blood flow may contribute to the sensation of warmth and tenderness.  Nevertheless, the only way to allay your concern is to visit a local doctor who can conduct a physical examination to determine the cause/s of the symptoms you have mentioned. 

Good luck and best wishes. 

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.