What could be the cause of redness and pain on skin under nipple (3 months post op) after breast augmentation? (Photo)

I noticed the skin under my nipple on my left breast was red,warm,and tender to touch.If I touch it, it hurts.I thought it was a stitch needing to come out. I had spitting stitches already but they came out and I healed fine.Tried squeezing around the nipple being that that's where the implant was inserted but nothing came out.Instead ended up with swelling and burning sensation/pain.Visiting my surgeon is not an option right now due to the fact that surgery was done in Colombia & I live in TX.

Possible infection

You may well have a low grade superficial infection related to a buried dissolving suture - it is important to start a course of oral antibiotics to settle this otherwise there is a risk your implant may become infected

Redness and Pain Under the Nipple - Contact Surgeon

Always contact your plastic surgeon if you have concerns about post-operative infection, bleeding, swelling, fever, excessive bruising, or any new and sudden changes in the feeling or look of your implants, breasts or incisions.

Any of the following may be post-op difficulties, about which it is best to contact your surgeon directly:

·       Excessive bleeding (hematoma) and bruising

·       Reduced sensation of #nipple

·       Deflation/rupture

·       Capsular contracture

·       Wrinkling/rippling. Palpable and/or visible

·       Firmness, and distorted appearance

·       Interference with breast feeding

·       Mammogram interference

·       Cost for revision surgery if necessary

·       Calcium deposits in the tissue around the implant

·       Breast tissue atrophy/chest wall deformity

·       Hypertrophic scarring

·       Tissue loss

·       Infection requiring antibiotics or implant removal

Red and painful

You should find a board certified plastic surgeon as soon as possible for an exam. You don't want to wait on this as you could be at risk of infection which could lead to implant removal. 

Good luck to you!

Redness on breast

This could represent an infection and your implant could be at risk for needing to be removed.  Your only option is to be seen by a board certified plastic surgeon.  You will have to pay out of pocket as your insurance is unlikely to cover cosmetic surgery complications.  Do not wait on this.

Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Burning and redness

Burning and redness may suggest an infection and you need to see a surgeon for a proper evaluation. If not, go to the local ER.

3 Months Post Op

Spreading redness and pain at this point in recovery should be assessed in person as soon as possible- if not with your surgeon then visit a local, qualified Plastic Surgeon.

All the best

It appears that you have cellulitis or possibly a late infection. I would strongly suggest  you consult with a plastic surgeon in your area. It may not be easy to find one who wants to take on problems from surgery done in another country.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Symptoms 3 months after breast augmentation

Healing can take 8-12 weeks for most patients.  During this period, the increased blood flow may contribute to the sensation of warmth and tenderness.  Nevertheless, the only way to allay your concern is to visit a local doctor who can conduct a physical examination to determine the cause/s of the symptoms you have mentioned. 

Good luck and best wishes.