I developed cellulitis 1 wk after having an aggressive medical thigh lift surgery. How can I minimize swelling? (3 wks post-op)

Now that the infection is getting better, I'm having major issues with swelling. I've been off my feet the entire 3 weeks, but the swelling has not improved.

Tips for lower extremity swelling

To hasten the resolution of your lower extremity swelling, I would recommend the following:

• Ensure that the infection is adequately treated
  • Keep your legs elevated when sitting
  • Ensure there's no seroma or fluid collection. This could prolong the swelling if it goes undiagnosed and untreated.
  • Wear compression socks / garments (discuss with your physician which types are most suitable for you)
  • Consider lymphatic massage

Significant lower leg swelling is not common after a medial thigh lift, but when it does occur it often takes weeks to resolve so be patient and follow-up regularly with your surgeon.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Post-operative thigh lift cellulitis

Thank you for asking about your thigh lift.

I am so sorry your surgery was complicated by an infection. It will take a long time for the swelling to subside. Please follow only your own surgeon's instructions - but do ask if and when you can start wearing a compression garment to reduce the swelling.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

How can I minimize swelling?

Thank you for your question!  I would see your surgeon and have them assess the amount of swelling and make sure that you are clear of any infection.  They can help get you into compression garments, etc to help alleviate the swelling or see if anything further needs to be done or evaluated.

Dr. Tag