How important is keeping your implant size within recommended size for your width measurement?

My width is 12cm and according to the chart my surgeon showed me, 550ccs is pretty much as big as I can go. I'm pretty disappointed as I wanted a much larger result (I have 455cc saline now, I am going to silicone and wanted 1.5-2 cup size increase). I wasn't expecting that as a previous surgeon I interviewed told me that a 700cc gummy bear implant would be no problem for me.

Chest width

These are guidelines and surgeons are free to place as large or small implants as patients desire.  However, very large implants can be wider than your chest width and extend laterally quite far and not be as attractive.  If you desire the volume though it could be good for you.  

Numbers and measurements ARE NOT aesthetic judgements final decisions! As a surgeon I look at the canvas I am operating upon and decide from my experiences. I think 650 -700 cc's could work.

Saline vs Silicone, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting question.
Breast lift with Augmentation with Saline or Silicone It is a very common question.
In my practice i recommend using - Cohesive Gel - Silicone Breast Implants with textured cover.
They are quite safe and aesthetically best as they give a firmer consistency, better projection and most natural appearance than Saline implants.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast Implant Revision/ Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant.   It is important to remember that as implant size goes up, and the amount of natural breast tissue you have goes down, and the less natural a result you will get. One technique to have a more 'natural' result while still having a large augmentation is to use shaped implants. That being said, this relationship still holds and with bigger implants the final result tends to be more 'sculpted' or 'augmented' and more obvious or easier to identify even when in clothes. Choosing an implant is a complex process and I definitely recommend that you choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.I hope this is helpful.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Going bigger

You can go to a high profile saline and go to 700cc no problem even bigger.The key is to find a board certified plastic surgeon who can do this for you. Keep looking for a doctor who can help you.Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Implants and measurements

Measurements are only a guide. Many factors go into determining what is appropriate and that includes the patient't goals.  Best of luck.

Thank you for the question. There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to diameter of breast implant versus diameter of breast (band width). In other words, these measurements are useful but are only one of the many factors come into play when it comes to selection of appropriate breast implant size/profile.

Based on the photograph, you have achieved a very nice outcome  with augmentation surgery. However, if  choose to proceed with reaugmentation with larger breast implants, this will likely be safely possible.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "D or DD cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link/video, dedicated to larger breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Breast implant revision - can I go bigger

Thank you for your question about your breast augmentation.

• Generally it makes sense to have your implant not be much wider than your chest.
  • If it is too big, it will tend to end up partially on the sides, under the arm.
  • One cannot comment on whether a 700 cc would work for you without examining you.
  • It certainly is a very large implant for most women.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS