Could this mean that the implant has ruptured?

I've had silicon implants for the last five years. Recently I've been experience a sharp pain in one of my breast when bending over and occasional leaking. The breast itself still has it shape and looks the same.

Doctor Answers 13

Could this mean that the implant has ruptured?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. Occasional leaking is not acceptable. Please book an appointment with your surgeon to be assessed in person. Best, 

Toronto Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 521 reviews

Wound dehiscense post breast augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It sounds like you have wound separation which should be addressed by your plastic surgeon as soon as possible. the issue is bacterial contamination of your implant if there is a bona fida leak of fluid from your wound. Good luck...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

Breast Implant Concern

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. I'm not sure what you mean by, "leaking." Certainly, if you notice a change in how your implants look or feel you should let your Plastic Surgeon know and schedule an assessment.
All the best

Implant issue

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
What do you mean by leaking?  Discharge from the nipple?  You should be seen by your doctor to be evaluated in person.  Best of luck.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
An exam and consultation with your/a plastic surgeon is recommended to determine what is going on and if any studies or treatments are indicated.  You can also discuss your options and expectations.

Ruptured implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.I’m sorry to hear that you are having pain but the cause of this can’t really be determined without a physical examination from your doctor and possibly an ultrasound of the breast. If you feel that the implant has started leaking, I would certainly go get an evaluation as you may need a revision to take out the ruptured implant and place a new one in. I hope this helps.
Best of luck!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 86 reviews

Implant problems

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
With what you are describing, no online consultation can suffice.  You need to be seen by your plastic surgeon so he or she can perform an in-person exam.  This is the only way to determine what is going on, in combination with imaging studies.
Best of luck! Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 74 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I am not sure what you mean by "leaking" when you bend over. However, only saline implants leak. As they leak, they also become smaller. I would suggest asking your doctor to check you. You may also need a mammagram and /or ultrasound.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

? Rupture

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. It is best to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an examination and checkup. He/she may wish to have you undergo an MRI or ultrasound to evaluate the implants, but you should see a PRS first.Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Sharp pain

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This symptoms you describe warrant a visit to your surgeon for an examination.  Be prepared that other tests may need to be performed in order to accurately determine if a rupture occurred, as well as help determine the cause of the pain you are experiencing.

Camille Cash, MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.