Had under eye Botox done a few years ago, now I suffer from dark circles. Are there non surgical procedures to fix this? (photo)

I see dark circles and bulging under my eye. So I have to wear makeup to cover the darkness. The bulge still exist.

Treatment options for dark circles

Botox is not known to be a cause of dark under-eye circles.  It is somewhat difficult to assess your case due to uneven lighting in the first picture.  However, dark under-eye circles that are caused by thin skin and/or prominent blood vessels can be treated with hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane.  For some patients, dark under-eye circles are exacerbated by allergies.  For these patients, treating the underlying allergies can be helpful.

Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Dark circles under eyes after Botox

There is no clinical evidence nor should there be an relationship between this finding and Botox. 

I recommend you to discuss specific issues regarding your questions with your dermatologist. 

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Circles under eyes, how do I correct?

I would treat you with Restylane in the periocular area. I always use cannulas for this to lessen the chances of bruising and risks. You have volume loss, and this is unrelated to the prior Botox.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Dark circles after Botox

The Botox that you received did not cause the dark circles.  The picture that you provided is difficult to see but commonly dark circles under the eyes are caused by shadowing of something called the tear trough.  If this is the case with you, hyaluronic acid based fillers can be extremely effective in treating it and can last for years after a single treatment.  I would consult with a professional and see what they say.  Good luck

Seth Kates, MD
Worcester Dermatologic Surgeon

Dark Circles under Eyes

Thank you for your question!  Yes, there are non-surgical procedures that can help shadowing under the eyes.  Hyaluronic acid fillers can be placed under the eyes, to help efface this shadowing and restore volume.  Botox can be used along the sides of the eyes, which will help with fine crows feet.  Be sure to consult with a board certified injector, who is specialized injecting, for consultation.

I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Dark Circles Under the Eyes

Yes, there are non-surgical procedures to help with the hollows under the eyes. Fillers can be used to restore volume under the eyes. Also, laser and microneedling can help. I recommend contacting a physician to determine the best treatment plan for you. 

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Treatments for dark circles under the eyes

Thank you for your question Stacierhinehart1. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. Most people enjoy the effects of a Botox treatment for 3-4 months. At that time a maintenance treatment is recommended. For my patients with dark circles under the eyes I recommend restoring the volume loss with a filler such as Restylane combined with fractional CO2 laser resurfacing to tighten the skin and a good eye cream. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Under eye circles

Photo not that clear but the hollows cause shadows that make eyes look even darker than they are. I would use a HA filler like Restylane, Restylane Silk or Belotero . Either of these would do well. You might also use a product(cream) to decrease darkness and fine wrinkles. These are not miricle creams but might help a bit combined with other treatments.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Botox is not the cause

Botox is not the cause of the dark circles.   It is due to volume loss underneath the eye.  The best way to correct this would be to use a filler and replace the volume that is lost. 

Erik Suh, MD
Bellevue Family Physician

Dark circles

Botox can help with fine lines under the eyes but it takes a very skilled injector to do this. The dark circles can be hidden with filler such as hyaluronic acid and you can apply a cream with vitamins A and K to improve them. the bulging can only be corrected with surgery

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist