I had traditional abdominal liposuction 3 months ago. There is umbilical swelling that is concerning me will it go down? (Photo)

Swelling after liposuction

Although you should see a great deal of swelling reduction in the first couple of weeks, swelling may continue to persist for several weeks and occasionally months.  At three months, I would expect your swelling to be gone.  However you will continue to have remodeling of your scar tissue and this may further soften the appearance of your belly button.  I would return to visit your plastic surgeon to discuss this more thoroughly.

Will my swelling decrease after my #lipsuction procedure?

Thanks for your question and photos about liposuction swelling.  Unfortunately swelling is a part of liposuction/lipoplasty and can even take up to 6--9 months.  The majority of swelling subsides after the first six weeks.  Should you have further concerns discuss directly with your plastic surgeon.

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Uneven result from liposuction after 3 months

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• You will see slow but steady improvement in your liposuction result over the next 3 - 9 months.
  • The longer you wait to worry about it the better - swelling takes a long time to go away.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

When will swelling resolve?

The vast majority of the swelling from liposuction is gone within the first few weeks after surgery, as you have already noticed.  However, I tell all my liposuction patients that they will have residual swelling that may only be obvious to them for upwards of 6 months after surgery and in some people it can even take a year.  Thus, your results should continue to improve with time.  Best of luck with your recovery!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Peri umbilical swelling after liposuction.

The architecture of the fat in a ring around the umbilicus results and persistent swelling longer than the more peripheral areas treated. Therefore it may be more prominent during convalescence.

Lipo result

At three months out from surgery , you may still be swollen.  I suggest giving it more time. If it does not go down, perhaps it is residual fatty tissue?