What can I do to fix my eyelids? (Photo)

What can i do to help my eyelids be more symmetric..i had a chalazion last year in November,and got the surgery for it the begining of july this year,and my eye still looks like this.I always had styes growing up and this had never ever happened before what can i do to fix this to acheive symmetric eyes...i already have one eye that sits more back in the socket as it is ..which i already had a CT scan for and everything seems to be fine,and its on that same eye making the assymetry even worse

Doctor Answers 8

Eyelid Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. You should complete the treatment of the chalazion with your board certified surgeon before having another procedure. That said, there is a lot for you to gain by considering the cosmetic approaches to improve the appearance after the chalazion treatment has been completed. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Best wishes,

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 124 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello, it appears that you may have ptosis. You should have a consultation with an oculoplastic surgeon to best determine your options. Best of luck!

Eyelid ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.  Your left upper eyelid is droopy (i.e. you have ptosis). I would follow up with an oculoplastic surgeon and first determine if there is any remaining chalazion present. The amount of correction required is best determined after ensuring that there is no longer any chalazion or swelling of the eyelid, which can cause mechanical ptosis.  

Paul Nazemi, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid ptosis after eyelid chalazion

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have left upper eyelid ptosis (droopy eyelid) and may be a candidate for eyelid ptosis repair. See following link and video. See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

It appears that you have bilateral levator partial dehiscence with compensatory eyebrow elevation.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If the chalazia affected the left upper eyelid, it is possible that the surgery contributed to the heaviness to the left side. You need a careful assessment by an oculplastic surgeon who can address the ptosis.  Most surgeons will be uncomfortable offering you surgery because you have a small degree of asymmetry.  Do not let anyone inject fat into the left upper eyelid.  That would be a disaster.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Improving the Eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You would benefit from differential fat injection in your eyelids to improve the shape of the eyes and to reduce the asymmetry. You may want to consult a board certified plastic surgeon who understands the concept and can potentially deliver a pleasing outcome.


Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

Asymmetry of the eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

An examination is important to make the diagnosis. It appears that your left eye is recessed (enophthalmos)... but measurements taken at the time of examination are crucial to obtain prior to making recommendations. Please see an oculoplastics specialist in your area. Best wishes.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Eyelid evaluation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  With that being said, based on your photographs, you may be a candidate for ptosis repair.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 172 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.