My neck lipo with Platysmaplasty didn't work or made things worse! P/S doesn't "see" uneven swollen glands. HELP! (Photos)

2.5 weeks post-op from non-machine chin lipo, with platysma plication, excision excess skin, small fat transfer to chin. 32 yrs old, avg height, slim. Wore compression garment after and now at night. F/U w/ P/S, tells me to massage muscle so it doesn't shorten, doing 4x/day. Concerned platysma too tight, drawing face down, not "following the angle" of jawline. Declined CI b/c concerns of facial elongation/budget. Never had glands prior to and not enough fat removed to cause "revealing" of them.

Postop lumps after liposuction and platysmaplasty

The most difficult thing for patients to do after surgery is deal with a not so perfect result.  It is very common to have small lumps after your procedure.  They usually subside over the course of weeks or months.  After 3 weeks, it is usually safe to begin gentle massage.  The lumps that are over your salivary glands, of course, will not go away.  Liposuction sometimes exposes these glands and there is nothing that can, or should, be done about this.

Central neck lift - unhappy with result

Thank you for asking about your central neck lift (liposuction plus plastysma tightening.)

At two weeks, it is much too early to assess your result. It will take six full months for the swelling to subside. So please be patient with yourself and follow your surgeons recommendations.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

My neck lipo with Platysmaplasty didn't work or made things worse! P/S doesn't "see" uneven swollen glands. HELP!

2.5 weeks is far too early to know what your final result will be. It will take a few months, so be patient and have a little faith in your doctor.

Janet Woodyard, MD

My neck lipo with platysmaplasty did not work

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Though i see your areas of concern it is difficult to know what your long-term results will be as you have too much swelling.  Allow your results time to mature over the next 2-3 months but voice your concerns to your surgeon. THey can provide you with reassurance or at least follow you closely to ensure appropriate healing.  Best wishes.

Neck issue

You are  only two weeks out and likely you are very swollen. You need to allow the swelling to subside first. Best of luck.

Neck contour

Hello and thank you for your question.  Since you are only 2.5 weeks post-op, you are still swollen.  However, I do see your areas f concern and you do have areas of asymmetry.  I recommend discussing your concerns with your primary surgeons again.  I hope this helps. 

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Early postop swelling

Thank you for your question.  At just two weeks postop, it is too early to say what your final result will look like.  You really need to wait 1-3 months to allow the swelling to resolve.  Even at that point, you may get some rebound laxity of the skin or tissue between 3-12 months.  Hope this helps.  Continue to follow your surgeons instructions and get through the first 3 months of healing before considering any revision, if necessary.  Best wishes!