Is capsule removal needed with implant removal within 6 months of augmentation?

I got 300cc saline implants about 5 months ago and have decided to have them removed. There are no issues-i have just decided they are not for me. I am 5'5" 110lbs with a 29" band. Before BA was pretty flat (didn't fit any bra cup). Is it necessary to have the capsule removed? Are there any benefits / concerns to having them removed vs leaving them in? Are there any benefits to removing a partial capsule or creating cuts in it?

Capsulectomy

The peer reviewed literature in plastic surgery recommends total capsulectomy in order to avoid future problems due to the capsule which include seroma, infection, and problems with imaging for cancer.  The capsule does not dissolve.

Generally speaking (in my opinion), unless the breast implant capsules have thickened (and/or are otherwise symptomatic), are associated with the ruptured silicone gel breast implants, or if the patient has concerns about "medical conditions" related to the breast implants, capsulectomy is not universally necessary. For these patients, en block removal of breast implants is a good procedure.

***On the contrary, capsulectomy can expose patients to additional risks, such as bleeding, size loss, contour irregularities and other serious complications. In other words, any maneuver performed during surgery exposes patients to additional risk (morbidity). Again, attempting to remove very thin capsule densely adherent to the patient's rib cage may expose the patient to significant bleeding and/or entrance into the thoracic cavity.

Recently I have become more aware of the fact that there are plastic surgeons who, instead of using good judgment and individualized patient care, are causing fear and unnecessary anxiety among patients. These patients them feel that complete capsulectomy is always necessary and undergo unnecessary surgery associated with additional morbidity and unnecessary expenses.

The good news:  breast implant removal surgery is a very well-tolerated procedure with minimal discomfort,  compared to first-time breast augmentation surgery. Patience is definitely indicated after removal of breast implants; it will take many months for the skin to “bounce back” and for you to see the final appearance of the breasts.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Capsule Removal

There are some specific indications for capsule removal, but you do not appear to have those, so in your case there is no medical reason the take the capsule out. Seromas are very rare in my experience and easily treated and no good mammographer will confuse the capsule with breast pathology. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast implant removal

Since you are not experiencing any issues with the capsule, there is no need to remove it.  It makes the surgery and recovery simpler if you remove the implant only and leave the capsule alone.

Camille Cash, MD