Will a breast reduction address "side boob"?

My breast are spaced very far apart and extend up under my arms. So, when looking at me dead on, my breast are wider then the rest of my body. My breasts are large...size DD. Will a breast reduction address this issue? Or is this an issue surgery cannot address?

The width of your breasts will be reduced with a reduction- all dimensions of your breasts should be reduced with this surgery except maybe the projection.  You may need some extra liposuction depending on exactly where the tissue is.  If it's the tissue within the confines of your breast borders, it will definitely be addressed with the breast reduction surgery though.

Breast reduction goals

Breast reduction will reshape your breasts and elevate them as well.  The extent of tissue on your chest wall is often treated with a breast reduction.  However, if you have excess skin in this area, you may need to have skin removed as well.  A surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery can give you your options at at consultation.  

Mark P. Solomon, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Side boob

Thanks for the question, often we need to add some liposuction and rarely actually have to cut out that area if people want it to be really flat

Side boobs

Please post photos. I am not sure whether you are describing breasts that are spread apart or supernumerary breast tissue under your arms.  The latter requires a separate operation to remove the tissue and I perform this after patients who need breast reduction have healed from that procedure so avoid complications affecting blood supply to the breast reduction flaps.

Thank you for the question. Generally speaking, breast reduction surgery serves to reduce breast size and lift the position of the breasts on a woman's chest wall.  This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

If, the patient has “excess” skin, breast tissue, and/or adipose tissue along the sides of the chest wall, this should be addressed preoperatively. Best to do so in front of a full-length mirror, clearly communicating your goals with your plastic surgeon. Depending on your goals, it may be necessary to extend the incision towards the sides of the chest wall ( this will extend the scar present) and/or perform liposuction surgery to improve contour.

When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons to discuss your concerns and goals. Ask to see lots of examples of their work, achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with.  Learn about the pros/cons/risks/complications associated with breast reduction surgery. Then, again, it will be important for you to communicate your goals carefully.  I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

Surgical plan addresses width

The surgical plan can take into account this extra breast width.  There are limitations however based on your anatomy.  

Breast reduction of side boob

Thank you for your question. This is commonly an area that's addressed during a breast reduction procedure. Depending on the type of the procedure, either removal of the tissue or Liposuction in this region will address your concerns. Please visit a board-certified plastic surgeon for a consultation.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

If the "side boob" is actual breast, then yes. However, if you are describing the tissue under the arm pit that tends to form a roll with a bra, then no. It would be helpful if you could post a photograph to ensure that we all know what you mean.

Hope this helps.
Gary Horndeski M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Side Boob Issue

A breast reduction will address displacement of the breast laterally towards the armpits.  What it does not correct is excess fat of the side of the chest and back.  In some cases liposuction can be used to address this area with a breast reduction. In other cases, it requires skin and fat removal.  Discuss this matter further with a surgeon during an in person consultation. Best wishes.

Breast reduction

A Breast reduction should treat the size and shape of your breasts. If you feel your breast are wide and spill out under your arm this may be breast tissue or it may be fat. I often perform liposuction of this area to contour it. An examination by a board certified plastic surgeon should be able to tell if it is fat tissue or breast or both. Breast reduction surgery should be able to address these issues. 

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon