9 days post Juvederm. Is this normal? (Photo)

I have had juvederm injected nine days ago, I still have a puffy look, and two lumps on my top lip. Do you believe my lips will settle a bit more and will end up natural or will this need to be dissolved? Thanks for your help.

Lips Can Swell More Than Other Areas

Although hyaluronic acid fillers are great options for adding volume to the lips, they can cause a bit more swelling in this area than, say, the nasolabial folds due to the delicate quality of lip tissue. What you're experiencing is relatively normal and should gradually lessen over the next few weeks. Your doctor should be able to recommend a massage technique to help smooth out the lumps. If you're still not happy with your results after 2 more weeks, you may consider having the product selectively dissolved. Best of luck.

Idaho Falls Plastic Surgeon

How long to wait before evaluating need to dissolve filler

Filler placed into the lips can cause sometimes dramatic and longer lasting swelling than other areas of the face.  At 9 days post-procedure most of the swelling will have subsided from almost all other locations of the face.  The lips may have some small amount of swelling at this point but should not be as dramatic.  You should be evaluated for possibly spot treating some areas with hyaluronidase.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

9 days post Juvederm. Is this normal

After 9 days, all the swelling has come down. It looks like your upper lip is too big therefore you should return to your doctor and have some this dissolved. Juvederm is one of my favorite products to work with but however, the Doctor needs to be highly skilled with lip injections. Good Luck, Dr. Downie

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Montclair Dermatologic Surgeon

Lumpy lips

It does look like your lips are still pretty swollen. It may take a bit more time for them to settle. Good luck.

Lumps from filler injection

It is very important that you bring this to your doctors attention. If he is an experienced and skilled doctor he can massage the area to smooth out the lumps.  From your picture it looks that perhaps you were overfilled with Juvederm. If that's the case, the material may be dissolved by your doctor with hyaluronidase.

David P. Melamed, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

#fillercomplication

Juvederm is one of my favorite fillers to work with. but its also one of those fillers that require highly skilled hands. it is one of the more stable kinds of fillers. and it tends to last quite a long time. Im not sure if this will go down any further as its already been 9 days. if you are not satisfied with the results I would recommend that you get this dissolved.  

Misbah Khan MD, FAAD, FACMS

9 days after Juvederm lip injections

At this point, what you see is what you get. I would go back and discuss with your doctor. The upper lip appears too big to me. Please see my link.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Swelling after Juvederm

I recommend that you go back to see your physician and have the lumps massaged out. Swelling can last a couple weeks, but the lumps should be massaged and smoothed out. I hope that you are using an expert board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for your injections, this will help you get the best results the first time.

Lip filler problems

Considering you are 9 days out, I'd discuss this with your injector and let them examine you. Sometimes there can be a small bruise under the skin that will take longer to disappear. I will occasionally have patients massage any areas of fullness. I'd give this more time prior to the consideration of dissolving the filler.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.
Facial Plastic Specialist
Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon