Shooting pain on left side when I touch? What is this and what can I do? TT 9 days ago.

I'm supposed to be massage belly 3x per day but this afternoon I can't even touch my side due to shooting pain upon touching that side. How can i alleviate it. I had to stop massaging as it is too painful to touch. I'm 9 days post op from tt

Shooting pain

Shooting pain may be part of the normal healing but may not. You are best to be evaluated in person to make sure it is ok.

The Healing Process after Tummy Tuck

With #cosmeticsurgery such as #abdominoplasty, we have our patients start on vitamins and supplements two weeks before and two weeks after. We prefer VitaMedica, as we know the content of these surgical support vitamins. The program includes Arnica and Bromelain. 

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks.

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate. You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

There is much to consider with the healing process, and if you find yourself concerned or worried at all it would be best to visit your plastic surgeon to have the area examined to make sure that healing is progressing as it should.

Any time there is increasing pain or unmanageable pain you should contact your surgeon.

Tummy Tuck Revision/Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/High Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Severe post op pain

Although it is normal to experience discomfort at 9 days post op, the fact that your pain is getting worse is troublesome. Schedule an appointment to see your surgeon asap. It's always best to err on the side of caution. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon