I am 17 weeks post op tummy tuck. Can I safely resume core workouts? (photo)

I just started back at the gym regularly .. Is it safe to resume core workouts ? Can I cheese wire ?

Resuming workouts

Thank you for the question. I typically advise my patients that they can begin to resume all regular activity including workouts starting at 6 weeks post op. Usually starting at 25% and slowly increasing intensity works well. If you have any specific concerns or questions about activities I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon.

All the best

Activity at 17 Weeks

Thank you very much for your question.

With uneventful healing, I would allow for "activity as tolerated" at this point.  However, your surgeon knows you best, so I recommend clearing it with them first.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Core Workouts after Tummy Tuck

Good Morning Tanto,

Thanks for this important question - it is definitely on the minds of many active people looking to get back to their exercises after an abdominoplasty.

I would echo the responses from other surgeons that first and foremost you need to discuss this with your surgeon. Only he or she knows the particulars of your procedure and has the best sense of what your tissues will be able to handle and when.

In general I like to think that most patients fall into one of three groups -

1) those who can return to most if not all of their modest core activities after 6 weeks
2) those who need to wait until 12 weeks before moving ahead
3) those who may not be able to return to the same intensity of core workouts as before

All surgeons have a different view and approach to this common concern and I'm sure your treatment team will be happy to speak with you about your specific needs and goals.

Congratulations on the new you!

Dr Nodwell

Trefor Nodwell, MD
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Core workout after tummy tuck

My protocol after tummy tuck with muscle repair is to avoid core exercise for six weeks.  Science shows that wounds will be at full strength at that point.  Patients are allowed resume everything at that point without fear of  compromising their result.  There will be persistent swelling at 6 weeks which will get worse temporarily with vigorous exercise but will not hurt anything.  If there were problems healing, health issues or  seroma  formation that needed drainage this protocol  may be modified.   Always best to ask your surgeon.  Good luck

William Koenig, MD
Rochester Plastic Surgeon

I am 17 weeks post op tummy tuck. Can I safely resume core workouts?

Thank you for your question. I would recommend speaking with your plastic surgeon as every surgeon has their own protocols.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Exercsing after tummy tuck

Thanks for your question and photo! I tell my patients to wait at least 6 weeks after surgery to resume any strenuous activities. Every surgeon's instructions will vary, so it's best to ask your surgeon this question.

German Newall, MD

Can I safely resume core workouts?

Greetings. This is a question to you should ask your plastic surgeon.  Every surgeon will have different postoperative protocols for exercising and workouts.  In general, things should be safe but there may be limitations that your surgeon may want you to still follow......so you should contact him/her and discuss this point.  Best wishes.

Ravinder Jarial, DO

Resuming workouts after tummy tuck

At this point in your recovery, I would allow you full activities without restrictions but this question can only be properly answered by your PS. Each of us has his/her schedule of when to return to activities and there is usually no right or wrong answers. Thus, I would recommend calling your PS office for advice. Congrats on your new abdomen! Best wishes.