My plastic surgeon let his PA sew me up. I have a bunch of problems with the outcome. Should Dr fix for free?

My left areola is much lower than the right & is almost totally under breast. The incision beneath left is shorter. Left nipple died. Fatty tissue can be seen and felt at the vertical incision of the left nipple. Roping and purple along the incisions on the sides of my breasts. Operation was April 2015. I am very upset about the outcome. Expect a PS not a PA to do the sewing as their sewing skills is a major part of what you pay for. Should surgeon fix for free? If he won't should I sue?

Thank you for your question and your candor. 

I'm sorry to hear your experience was not as you had hoped.  I would recommend discussing the situation with the surgeon during an examination and follow up evaluation.  Most surgeons are very reasonable and will evaluate and see you back to make sure they can produce excellent results and happy patients.  It sounds like you have confidence in his skills - so he may want to revise things if he agrees your outcome is subpar.

In cases of disappointment, it is best to open the lines of communication and voice your concerns.  You will feel better that at least you have been clear and he knows exactly what is bothering you.

Good luck,

Christopher C. Chang, MD

Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia

Problems with outcome after breast augmentation, should doctor fix for free?

I am so sorry to hear of your disappointment after your breast augmentation.  I would recommend getting an appointment with your surgeon for an in person evaluation and discuss your options regarding addressing your issues.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

My plastic surgeon let his PA sew me up. I have a bunch of problems with the outcome. Should Dr fix for free

Sorry to hear about all the difficulties you have had. My advice would be to express your concerns to your surgeon. Each office does have its own policy regarding revision surgery. This would be a good starting point.

Best of Luck,

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

I'm sorry to hear you had such an awful experience. Each office will have its own revision policy but the first place to start regardless of that is by having a follow up appointment with your surgeon to let him know your concerns and see what he says. Depending on how that goes you can decide your next steps. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

You should discuss revision after complications with the surgeon

since you are a year and more out from surgery, it is certainly reasonable to be discussing possible revisions that might help improve results that were compromised by complications at this time. hope you will return to your surgeon to discuss this sometime soon.

BTW,  some of the things you describe would likely not be due to the "sewing skills" used to repair the skin surface at the conclusion of the procedure, so blaming the PA surgical assistant might not necessarily be appropriate.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon