Will implants help close the space between breasts? (photo)

I am 35 and considering getting implants to return to my former large perkiness. I would prefer over the muscle so I don't have the hard round look. Sometimes I think I should just have a lift but fear the scars. I feel the space between my breasis too large, will implants fix or increase that?

To Lift or Not To Lift

From the single image that you provided, despite the birds-eye view, it appears that simply placing an implant will leave you with implants that sit very low on your torso.  If you are OK with this, then you can "get away with" not placing an implant.  For you, placing an implant will not lift the breast to a significant degree.

I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Best wishes!

Dr. Desai

Size of implants matters

Hi, thank you for your question. based from your photos, you have a ptosis breast that you may need a lift. Cleavage and fixing Gap in the middle can be fixed by selecting implants that will suit your chest wall frame. Discuss this now to your surgeon and get the best option for you.

Best wishes!

Boonchai Taweerattanasil, MD
Thailand Plastic Surgeon

Implants good for cleavage

Thank you for your question.  Breast implants can help to improve upper pole fullness and cleavage.  Based on your photo, it appears that you may also benefit from a breast lift.  Being too aggressive about bringing the implants close to the midline however can increase the risk for symmastia (uniboob).  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck! 

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Lift and implants

It looks like you could benefit from a lift. If you want more volume, then implants are the way to go.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

There are certain anatomic limitations to cleavage.  If the implant is put behind the muscle, the limit to the cleavage is where the pectoral muscle attaches to the sternum.  Someone with widely spaced muscle attachments, will have more widely spaced cleavage than someone with a narrow spacing.

A subglandular implant and fat grafting are other options.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. You have two issues that should be addressed. One is your desire for breast augmentation which an implant will be used to increase your cup size. Although an implant can sometimes give you the appearance of a lift, by what is referred to as the swing effect, it does not restore the breast to its more youthful position. An implant will also not necessarily reduce the gap between the breasts especially when it is placed below the muscle and particularly in a breast that is droopy, since the implants will ideally drop into where the breast sits on the chest as well. And implant will increase the cup size to allow more cleavage when support is worn which then pushes them up.

Placing the implant above the muscle will help to possibly decrease the gap between the breast however, more visible and palpable irregularities are at greater risk. This can be particularly relevant to thinner women where visible irregularities occur when the chest muscle is contracted which is referred to as an animation deformity. When implants are placed above the muscle, this deformity is no longer relevant. The risk of abnormal scar formation, such as capsular contracture are also thought to be at higher risk with implants placed above the muscle. The use of a textured implants has been shown to decrease the risk of capsular in implants that are placed above the muscle.

Although no woman wants a scar on her breast, with the newer short scar lollipop approaches, these often and usually heal very well over time.

One final option would be to place the implant above the muscle and also combined fat grafting. This would allow the transfer of fat from one part of the body to the breasts especially in the inner and upper portion of the breast where no implant will ever reach. This does allow contouring and padding to enhance the final outcome. Please see the video link below of a patient who had this exact procedure performed. I would certainly encourage you to seek out a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in all types of breast and fat transfer procedures. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants spacing.

thank you for your question and for your photograph. Based upon your photo, you really have a very normal space. Implants which are placed under the muscle can only go as far in as where the muscle inserts into the sternum. If you try to release the muscle it can lead to synmastia.

Plastic surgeons will always try to place the implants as close to the midline as possible. The force of the pectoralis muscle Pushes implants down and out with time so cleavage is still dependent upon a bra.

It is possible you may need a lift even with implants but your plastic surgeon will be able to guide you based upon your physical examination.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with augmentation

As an orange graduate of SU, I understand how important it is to have perky breasts with cleavage. To maximize your cleavage a lift with implants would give you the best results. See a board certified plastic surgeon ASAPS member. Good luck...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Implants and lift candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
After having analyzed all the information and photos provided to us, I realize that you have very sagging and small breasts. In this regard, you need volume (implants) and projection (the lift): Breast Augmentation w/Breast Lift.
I recommend you to use microtexturized highly cohesive silicon implant ("gummy bear" implants), with high projection, and 400-500ml will be excelent on you, to fill the breasts properly.
Finally, to perform the breast lift I recommend a Periareolar Round Block Breast Lift ("Benelli mastopexy"), which has an unnoticed scar around the areola, and if we see (in the surgery) that we can't obtain adecuate projection just with the Benelli Lift, we have to perform a "Lollipop breast lift".
Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast space

Implants will help with increasing the volume and cleavage of your breasts but not necessarily the space between them. I don't like to try and create artificial cleavage as it can cause long term problems. I would also consider implants under the muscle due to your lack of breast tissue 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon