Can I drink while on vacations 2 week before surgery?

My tt surgery was moved up 1 week and now beginning of my 2 week preop time I'm on big vacation in Mexico. Can I still drink but completely abstain 1 week prior to surgery?

Surgery and alochol

I tell my patients that they can have drink moderately up to a week before surgery. You should check with your surgeon.

Alcohol pre op

As with most of these types of questions it is best to ask your surgeon. He and you are ultimately responsible for your outcome and should come to some understanding regarding what you can and cannot do pre op.All of us will have a different take on this based on our knowledge of the issue and our personal experience with it.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. A glass of wine or two while you are on vacation two weeks before surgery is absolutely not a problem. In general, alcohol consumption will thin your blood and you should avoid significant drinking starting at 10 days before surgery. Otherwise, you are at risk for bleeding complication afterwards. I hope you have a fun time on your vacation. Best of luck to you!

Enjoying a few drinks is okay, but don’t eat the worm.

It’s great that you’re going on vacation in Mexico. A little pre-tummy tuck relaxation will do you well. As for whether it’s safe to drink two weeks before your procedure, this is really a question you should run by your plastic surgeon. I think it would be fine to enjoy a glass or two of wine each day, but steer clear of keg stands and definitely don’t eat the tequila worm. Be sure to avoid any cigarette smoking as well. Wind down your party-hardy ways about 10 days before your tummy tuck, as alcohol can thin the blood and cause complications and excessive bruising.

Alexander G. Nein, MD, MS, FACS

Ensuring maximum results

It is my pre-operative protocol that patients discontinue drinking alcohol 2 weeks before as well as 2 weeks after surgery. While a few drinks on your vacation will not totally hinder the outcome of your surgery, you are still putting yourself at risk for bleeding and swelling issues. Alcohol is a blood thinner and can increase your chance of bruising and swelling post-operatively. More swelling and bruising causes more pain.Therefore it is best to not drink at all before your  surgery. 

John W. Tyrone, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Drinking before surgery

Thank you for your question. I have a protocol for my patients to avoid certain medications, foods, and drinking two weeks prior to surgery. The main reason is because alcohol thins your blood and can cause excessive bleeding, bruising, and swelling after surgery.   

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon