Is this normal..... (photo)

I had a breast reduction on June 9th and I am not recovering well. I am uncomfortable and it's been torture. Now I have a huge hard black scab under my areola and don't know if it's healing, infected , or normal. Please help answer I don't go back to the doctor until July 6th. Should I be worried?

Normal?

Get back to your doctor , you are having a problem healing and they may need to  do something for you. Call right away and go see him or her.

Skin Necrosis After Breast Surgery

Thank you for your question.  It appears that you have suffered from some skin necrosis along the margin of your skin flaps.  Skin necrosis is a well known complication after breast reduction surgery.  It is important that you see your plastic surgeon regularly  to follow the progression of your wound.  Most of the time, the wounds can be managed non-operatively.  If the wound is infected, operative debridement may be needed.  After completely healing, scar revision may be necessary.

Good Day,

Nicholas I. Jones, MD

Nicholas Jones, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Is this normal

The skin in this portion of the breast reduction is the most fragile. When you close the skin tension is placed on it and sometimes, especailly if other factors that affect blood supply to the skin such as smoking are present, the blood supply to the skin gets low and the skin dies. If you smoke, I would stop. Keep the area clean and covered to prevent secondary infection. Most importantly, keep in close touch with your plastic surgeon as this may require further treatment.

Karen Quigley, MD

Skin necrosis

It looks like you have some skin necrosis centrally at the vertical component.  You will need to follow closely with your surgeon to receive the appropriate care.

Normal healing after breast reduction surgery?

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing after breast reduction surgery. What you are experiencing is not "normal"; you are experiencing a complication of incision line separation and/or necrosis.  Best to follow up with your plastic surgeon, earlier than already scheduled, for in-person evaluation and advice. Best wishes.