Hemoglobin is 11.5 they said my Hemoglobin needs to be at 13g, how do I increase it in time for surgery? (photo)

and I'm having three surgeries a BBL+ liposuction + arm lift. Increase my hemoglobin from a 11.5 to 13 in one month if it's possible for surgery

Hemoglobin level

The best person to discuss this with would be your plastic surgeon seeing as every surgeon may have slightly different recommendations. Common causes of low hemoglobin levels are due to deficiencies in iron, vitamin C and B12 so I would recommend including these supplements in your diet. I would also eat iron and vitamin C rich foods such as red meat, spinach, almonds, oranges, strawberries and broccoli. This should help raise your hemoglobin levels. Best of luck in your recovery!
James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Mildly low Hemoglobin before surgery.

Hello, and thanks for the question. First of all, 11.5 isn't very low, as 12 is considered normal for women. If you run low normally, it may be that you aren't getting enough natural iron in your diet. Other reasons may include heavy menstrual flow, or deficiencies in B vitamins or vitamin C which are used by your body in the production of hemoglobin. Modifying your diet to include more iron rich foods (proteins like beef or tuna and vegetables like beans and beets) and taking supplements including folic acid, B12, and C would also be helpful, but this may also take some time (1-2 months) before an increase in hemoglobin is seen. To speed things up, you can also take an iron supplement like ferrous sulfate 3 times a day with meals. It may still be hard to get all the way up to 13, and I wouldn't typically require this of any patient, even if they were having a more extensive procedure.

Hope this helps!