A little less than 2 years post-op, area surrounding areolas appears to push out? (Photos)

I am a 19 year old male who got gynecomastia surgery roughly two years ago. I am 175 pounds and 5'9. There is no hard lump beneath the areolas or around them but on the outside edge and bottom of each areola the skin appears to puff out more. The surgery I got reduced the size of each areola and removed the gland underneath. The incision was completely around both. If you need more just let me know! Thanks.

Concerned about Areolas Two Years After Gyno Surgery

The areas after Gynecomastia Surgery may feel “lumpy” or irregular, and should decreases with time. Often massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. Also, the #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. It's possible that any indentations could be addressed with fat grafting or cosmetic filler(s) if eligible.

Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Puffiness in areola

At two years after surgery, in my mind, two possibilities exist. If there is a small remnant of the retro glandular breast bud, this may be pushing out the areola not allowing it to lie flat against the chest wall. Also, if the breast skin and areola had been quite stretched by a large amount of sub areolar fat or gland, then this skin may not have shrunk back 100%. Both of these can be discerned by an examination by your plastic surgeon. A intra-areolar donut procedure with removal of the remnant of breast tissue may fix it. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS