Can cool sculpting be done on fat surrounding a scar? (Photo)

I have an abdominal scar from surgery that was revised a year ago. I'm still unhappy with the results. Considering cool sculpting to try to lessen the ridge that it creates. Is it safe to have strong suction around the scar tissue? Could it damage the scar or open it ??

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what. I recommend going to certified physician to examine area in person to evaluate if you are a good candidate for this procedure.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Cool Sculpting around/near a scar

Being that you are a year out it would be OK to proceed with cool sculpting. They may be able to put a small applicator above the scar area and decrease the volume there and help smooth it out. It is not a "sure" thing. So if you want to try something non-invasive and the $750 price doesn't bother you it may be worth trying. Not sure if your scar revision was from your general surgeon or a Board Certified plastic surgeon? Could seek an in person consultation with a physician who offers all options. Best of Luck. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting around a scar

Based on this photo, I might recommend releasing the scar  with the cellfina device in the same way that I release the dimples of cellulite. It is possible that coolsculpting may also help, but it is difficult to assess from the photos.

Coolscuplting around Abdominal Scar?--Coolsculpting VS. VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

Coolsculpting can be done to this area. However, for the goals you mentioned, I recommend VASER Hi Def liposution for fat removal, contouring and skin tightening. VASER can sculpt and contour the body and results can be seen immediately. Please see a body contouring expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Coolsculpting around a scar

It is perfectly fine to get Coolsculpting in this area. I don't think it will achieve your goals. Please seek another opinion before going through with it. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Coolsculpting around a scar

Considering your scar is a full year out from surgery, you can definitely have Coolsculpting performed. By reducing the fat around the scar, the scar will appear less depressed. Also, the suction of the applicator can actually help stretch some of the collagen in the scar and possibly make it look better.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon