I am seriously considering Rhinoplasty. I am 22 years old and very unhappy with my nose. Good idea? (photos)

I think i would need a septoplasty and rhinoplasty. My nose is so crooked in weird ways. I never had an injury but none of my family members have a nose like mine either. Would this surgery be complicated? My nose looks fine when i am turned to the side. It is only unflattering when i am looking straight and smiling.

Crooked Nose

Dear Jas10693,

Twisted or crooked noses are the most difficult to repair.  You can definitely have a beautiful result, but you need to see a surgeon who is both an ENT and a Facial Plastic Surgeon.  

Dr. Michelle Yagoda

​I can certainly understand why you want to have rhinoplasty

I can certainly understand why you want to have rhinoplasty as your nose is rather crooked. I'm sure you have difficulty breathing and if that is the case you probably would be a good candidate for a septoplasty at the same time as the rhinoplasty. Attached please find a video that I hope you find useful regarding the appropriate age to consider rhinoplasty.

Edwin F. Williams, III, MD
Latham Facial Plastic Surgeon

If you don't like the outside appearance of your nose the first place to start is to consult with an experienced Board Certified Rhinoplasty surgeon who can evaluate you in person and discuss your options.  Best of luck!

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Complicated rhinoplasty procedure.

Rhinoplasty for the crooked nose is a complicated procedure, and one of the most difficult procedures to perform in all cosmetic surgery. That's why it is a very good idea to find a surgeon who is well experienced with rhinoplasty procedures for best results. The  Photographs demonstrate crooked nasal bones which need to be addressed with osteotomies, and a concave upper lateral cartilage for which a spreader craft graft will be needed to augment the upper lateral cartilage on that concave side. A septoplasty is only performed to improve airflow through the nose when there is nasal obstruction, but can only be documented at the time of the examination and consultation. For more information and many before and after examples of noses similar to your own, please see the link and the video below

I think that if you are unhappy with your n so, then you should be evaluated for a rhinoplasty if you want it corrected.

Deviated Nose

You are correct. When the nose shifts to one side on the outside usually the septum shifts to the opposite site internally. The deviation cannot be successfully corrected with a septoplasty. You seem to have slightly thick skin, asymmetry of the tip and the nostrils. The tip is also bulbous. Additionally, you have a rare condition called a hanging ala, which means the side wall of the nostril is hanging too low on the right side. Your left nostril looks slightly retracted. Your nose presents slightly more challenge than usual and should choose someone for your surgery who has enough experience and can see and fix all of the flaws.

Good luck.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a osteotomies and spreader grafts to help straighten your nose.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Candidate for rhinoplasty?

Candidate for rhinoplasty? Yes.   Thank you for your question. Thank you for your photographs.  After reviewing your photographs, you are an excellent candidate for a septoplasty and a rhinoplasty. First and foremost, the nasal septum must be straightened so that your entire nose can be straightened.  This will require spreader grafts.  Additionally, the nasal dorsum will need to be leveled and straight and the nasal bones will need to be repositioned into their anatomic position. You will also need a tip rhinoplasty to balance the upper two thirds of the nose with the lower one third of the nose. Your nasal surgery is complicated and must be performed by a surgeon who is a board-certified plastic surgeon and specializes in rhinoplasty surgery.  Investigate photographs on the doctors websites and also see if they are a member of  The Rhinoplasty Society.   Best wishes!  

James Fernau M.D. FACS 

Board-certified Plastic Surgeon

Board-certified Otolaryngology /  Head and Neck Surgeon  (ENT surgeon)

Member of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons and The Rhinoplasty Society 

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Deviate nose - Considering rhinoplasty - Good idea?

The nasal areas that you described and would like improved can be addressed with a nasal surgery (rhinoplasty) and a septoplasty which are typically done at the same time. A natural appearing nose can be achieved when the procedures are performed by an artistic plastic surgeon with extensive experience in nasal surgery. No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about refining and improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose with an artistically performed natural appearing rhinoplasty and whether it would be worthwhile

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and how to do it based on a limited two dimensional photo without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon