How can I fix chicken pox scars? (Photo)

I had chicken pox when i was 7 yrs old. I had scratched my face a lot then and it has left scars. I applied coconut water for sometime but it didnt help much. Can you please help in lightening the scars and suggest some permanent solution? Thank you.

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

You need a cosmetic dermatologist who specializes in acne scarring/pigmentation and does a combination of treatments including: surgery, subcision, or TCA cross for deep or pitted "ice pick" scars; fillers like Bellafill or Sculptra or Radiesse for broad "boxcar" or "rolling" scars; Eclipse Micropen for all types of scars and improvement in texture and tone; lasers such as co2 laser resurfacing or Fraxel/Clear+Brilliant or radiofrequency such as Venus Viva to improve the scars and give long term collagen production. There are many options but you want someone who can customize a regimen for your short and long term goals based on your individual situation. Best, Dr. Emer.

Chicken Pox Scars May Respond To Subcision (w/ or w/o fillers) & Fractional Microneedle Resurfacing

Chicken pox scars, as can be seen the photo, tend to be deeply indented, have well defined ridges and discolored bases (either more darkly pigmented than the surrounding normal skin, as in this case, or in lighter-skinned individuals an off-white--or ivory colored pigmentation). 

Since they are indented (i.e. depressed, atrophic), they first need to be elevated. Subcision, which breaks up the thick, abnormal scar collagen bundles that tether the skin downward, is a simple, quick and relatively inexpensive approach. For further elevation and a supplemental biostimulatory effect, a small amount of filler, such as Belotero Balance, may be injected at the time of subcision or a couple of weeks subsequently. 

For many people suffering chicken pox scars, simply elevating them in the above fashion constitutes sufficient improvement. If additional improvement in both tone and texture are desired, fractional microneedle resurfacing (aka medical microneedling), likewise a relatively inexpensive treatment, can be used to help the treated regions to better blend with the surrounding normal skin.

Relatively expensive fractional lasers as well as radiofrequency and ultrasound device therapies have proven in my experience to be little more than device manufacturer backed marketing hype and little hard science. Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation is additionally a potential problem with the use of these devices, particularly in people of color.

For more information on any of the above procedures, check out the archives of RealSelf.com and make certain to seek consultation and treatment by a board certified aesthetic physician with expertise in scar treatments, and not just anyone hawking a one-size-fits-all treatment plan with a particular machine.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Chicken Pox Scars and eMatrix

eMatrix would be the best way with your skin type and acne scars to get improvement. Syneron recently upgraded the technology so that you can go deeper with fewer treatments and even better results.  Best, Dr. Green