Why do my breasts appear to be different in shape? Dual plane under muscle inspira uhp 365. 24 hour recovery procedure. (photo)

The 24 hour recovery was a success. The biggest aspect of this procedure is the doctor picks the size. He also was adamant against trying to correct asymmetry. Said it usually exhasberates the asymmetry. I am trying to figure out why my breasts look like different shapes vs. just different sizes. Also, have I settled at this point? In my six week photo my smaller breast appears to be more straight angled vs rounded like the right. Please see pictures and weigh in opinions. Thank you kindly.

Why do my breasts appear to be different in shape? Dual plane under muscle inspira uhp 365.

Thank you for your question and pictures.  It does appear you have a bit of asymmetry.  both in your 2 week and 6 week picture, you can see the left breast is sagging a tiny bit more than the right side.  Hard to judge if it was present pre-op but most women have some asymmetry to start.  You need to talk to your PS and see that they recommend, some like massage, some like special bras or straps to help position implants.  It's still early, they will continue to change for a while longer.

Asymmetry after your augmentation

Thank you for your question.  Breasts are usually asymmetrical to some degree and the decision as to whether or not to try to correct the asymmetry depends on the degree of severity.  Based on your pictures I can see a moderate amount of asymmetry but it's difficult to really tell without a physical exam.

The difference in the shape of your breasts is likely due to the difference in the shape of your skin on either breast.  Preoperative asymmetry is usually in both the breast tissue and in the skin, so this can impact the results.  

The angled part of your smaller breast may be from an area of tight tissue in the implant pocket- this can sometimes be resolved with a special bra that helps to move your implant downwards and inwards to help to stretch that out.  

Good luck with the rest of your recovery!
Dr. Seth

I do see a very small amount of asymmetry in your postoperative photograph. It's difficult to evaluate the preoperative photograph at it is taken on an angle. Most mild asymmetries postoperatively seem to be a magnification of an asymmetry that existed preoperatively. If small, it's sometimes better to live with them then try to make a perfect correction. I have found, in the last few years, that fat grafting can make a small difference in evening out the volume that cannot be corrected with different size implants. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource in deciding what the correct course of action should be. Congratulations on your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breasts Differ in Shape Following Augmentation

The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One #breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete #healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.