What is the best treatment for recurring varicose vein? (Photos)

I am 27 years old and I have had 2 Phlebectomys the first was done in November 2014 and the second was done in May 2015. My vein is getting to the point it's unbearable to stand at times again (at least once a day) and pops out so much so I'm wanting to get another treatment as soon as possible. My question is if this treatment is the best available or perhaps I should see another doctor. I'm curious about VenaSeal since phlebectomys have failed me twice so close together.

Doctor Answers 4

Recurrent veins

I recommend you see a vascular specialist since you might have underlying venous reflux that can be identified by a simple ultrasound. If there is reflux in the saphenous veins then I recommend fixing that first before proceeding with phlebectomy or sclerotherapy. 

Issaquah Vascular Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

Treatment options

From the pictures it looks like you have soft tissue damage or scarring where the prior phlebectomy was performed. You do look like you have varicose veins around the knee area. A sign that you may have reflux disease in the larger superficial veins of the leg. I would recommend a venous ultrasound to determine the cause of your varicose veins. There are great minimally invasive treatments that should improve the look and physical well being of your venous issues. Definitely worth looking into. 

Ivan Brooks, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Recurrent varicose vein

I wonder if you have had any ablation or closure procedures prior to the phlebectomies.  If there is a large truncal vein or feeder under the area of the varicose vein, then it needs to be treated before the varicose vein can be treated.  I suggest getting a second opinion with a full ultrasound to look for the source of the venous disease.

Lisa Perez, MD
Atlanta Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

You might also like...

Recurrent varicose veins

If your varicose veins recurred so quickly, I would be concerned that you might have underlying venous reflux that has not been identified.  You should see a vascular specialist and have a high quality duplex ultrasound, preferably in an Accredited lab, to be sure you receive an accurate diagnosis.  Regarding Venaseal, that is a particular treatment for venous reflux.  There are others, such as RF ablation (Closure), endovenous laser, and Clarivein.  All of these are effective in treating reflux.  The reason to have one vs. the others is usually based on factors such as physician preference and experience and insurance coverage issues. Prior to knowing what treatment is best, you need to have a correct diagnosis.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.