FUE Hair Transplant Success. What are the failure rates?? (photos)

FUE. I have been told I need about 2000 grafts. Assuming a good US Doctor, and a healthy patient, what are the fail rates? By fail, I mean grafts that do not grow.

Hair growth process

Hair growth from  surgery is a gradual process that only starts between 3 to 5 months.   Hair will typically start to grow as thin, colorless, and wispy and continue to mature up to 18 months. At around 9 months, most of the hair has at least started to grow and is well on its way to maturity. But hair thickening and darkening will continue for some time and will have a significant impact on the overall cosmetic result.  The word “result” therefore becomes  very subjective. If you are talking about seeing a cosmetic difference in your hair density and coverage, most hair transplant patients see some nice growth around 6-8 months. The final  result won’t come until 12 months after surgery.
All the best

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Not re-growth of grafts, the re-growth numbers of the hair is the criteria

It is not possible to evaluate the exact graft number necessary for your transplant simply by looking at one photo. It is very likely that you will lose some density in the future. As far as I can see, you have a hair loss area of 100 square centimeters with 0 density and some rare density. Even though you have curly hair with good contrast between skin and hair color, I would probably suggest a minimum of 3600-4000 grafts.

There is a 90% re-growth rate in normal FUE procedures and this is considered quite acceptable. The re-growth rate is of course not the only criteria for success in FUE procedures. For a real evaluation of re-growth, we must look to the the re-growth of the number of hairs per follicle, not the number of grafts. This is directly related to the "Coverage Value" of your result.

Koray Erdogan, MD
Istanbul Hair Restoration Surgeon

Going to a good doctor

With a lot of experience in FUE is the key to a good FUE result. Ask to see some of his patients one-on-one so you know what the quality of the work is.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Failure rate after FUE

FUE done by a skillful surgeon should have a 95% growth rate. Generally it will take a year for all the transplants to start growing. Best of luck!

Success rate is high for your aprox. 2000-2500 Grafts

Hello
For what is seen in your pictures you will need approx. 2000-2500 grafts.
I will recommend you to also start using non-surgical treatments such as Propecia, Minoxidil, PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) or laser therapy in order to keep as much of your existing hair as possible. 
The success rate in a FUE is approximately 90-92%, wich can give you some peace of mind if you go to the right doctor and follow the Post Operative Care Instructions. 
In regards to the number of grafts and quality of your donor area we can only be sure after having a one on one consultation.
Feel free to ask more questions.
Best of lucks,
WY

William Yates, MD
Buffalo Grove Hair Restoration Surgeon

Failure of transplanted hair to grow may be dependent on the reputation of the clinic as well as uncontrollable (human variable)

Failure of transplanted hair to grow may be dependent on the reputation of the clinic as well as uncontrollable (human variable).  It is risk but in general a small risk.  The risk is slightly higher for FUE harvesting.  

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon