Outer ear surgery

Not sure of the proper term for the ears I have but I want them fixed. They're not Darwin's tubercle or pixie ears. It's like the outer part never 'curled' in. Any suggestions for surgery?

Doctor Answers 2

Ear Surgery -- Otoplasty

The shape of your ear can be modified, and your ears can be brought closer to your head if needed. Plastic surgeons refer to the procedure as "otoplasty," and it is relatively straightforward and causes minimal discomfort. Be sure to consult a board certified plastic surgeon whose website indicates that otoplasty is performed at the practice--not every plastic surgeon is experienced in the procedure.

Elliot Jacobs, M.D.
New York Plastic Surgeon

New York Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 35 reviews

Outer ear surgery

Yes, the shape of the ear can be changed as you have suggested.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facial and ear correction surgeries each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Kenneth B. Hughes, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 496 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.