Does femilift work for women in their 50's and in menopause?

Menopause and the FemiLift

FemiLift is a great option for menopausal women who are experiencing issues of dryness, incontinency and/or a feeling of heaviness.  Most patients require three monthly treatments.  Treatments are painless and only take 10 minutes.   Please see an experienced physician for an evaluation.

FemLift is perfect for post menopausal women, as it stimulates the development of younger, healthier tissue.  Younger, healthier tissue means more lubrication, greater sexual sensation and less stress incontinence due to laxity of vaginal mucosa.

David Preskill, MD
Libertyville OB/GYN

YES :)

Femilift greatly improves vaginal dryness and incontinence issues in all women regardless of age.  We have gotten amazing results in our menopause patients.  

Femilift for women in their 50's

Although there is risk with any procedure there is very little risk of excessive scar tissue or desensitization for women in their 50's with the FemiLift, Mona Lisa or ThermiVa devices. FemiLift™ and Mona Lisa™ procedures use CO2 laser technology and the ThermiVa™ uses RF (radiofrequency) to shrink vaginal tissue and increase lubrication if dryness is a problem. The tightening is often sufficient to improve or correct urinary stress incontinence and/or mild cystoceles. The procedure is done in office and requires little or no post procedure down time.
The advantages are :
  • Minimally invasive, virtually painless procedure
  • Gentle treatment for controlled safety and accuracy
  • Maximum precision with Alma CO2 laser, the right wavelength and perfect pulse
  • Fast and efficient delivery of fractionated laser energy split into micro pixels
  • No post treatment downtime
  • Excellent patient satisfaction and long term success The Disadvantage of the FemiLift and MonaLisa is that is is only for vaginal treatment whereas the ThermiVa RF device can be used to shrink the labia minora as well and is more comfortable. These procedures cannot narrow the vaginal canal as much as a vaginoplasty surgery

Does Femilift work for women in their 50's and in menopause?

FemiLift works amazingly well in post-menopausal women and the results have been absolutely outstanding! FemiLift has changed the lives of many of our patients, allowing them to resume a rewarding and satisfying sex life, to be freed of their dress urinary incontinence, and their partners share in these wonderful changes. 

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

The answer to your question is a big yes.
One of the indication for CO2 Laser vaginal rejuvination, is for treatment of vaginal atrophy in postmenopausal patient and the result are real.
you can increase the success if you do PRP ( Platelet Rich Plasma) with it.
Good Luck and best of health

FemiLift for Vaginal tightening

Hello friend,

As a practitioner who specializes both in Menopausal and Sexual Medicine, as well as Genital Plastics, I am familiar with your question. Yes, A laser vaginal tightening (i.e. FemiLift) should work well in a newly menopausal woman, but it is good to understand a few facts: Any vaginal tightening procedure will work better in a woman with good vaginal estrogen levels; I would advise 2-3 months of vaginal microdose estrogen supplementation prior to, and during the 3 months of therapy (if not longer). FemiLift should actually help with vaginal lubrication, but remember that it ill NOT tighten your muscles, and will NOT tighten you as much as a surgical vaginoplasty; if you have had children, and pelvic floor laxity and poor gripability are your isues, FemiliLift may not be your best bet. Best to work with a practitioner who performs BOTH surgical and non-surgical (e.g. FemiLift) procedures, as that person is more likely to suggest the procedure that BEST MEETS YOUR INDIVIDUAL NEEDS. See below for full details:

Laser Vaginal Tightening for improved Sexual Pleasure

What is it? A non-surgical painless 15 minute office procedure utilizing reliable 3rd-generation CO2 fractional Laser technology delivered into the vagina via a round vaginal-shaped probe, repeated at monthly intervals X 3, with a “touch-up” in one year, which produces noticeable tightening of the entire vaginal barrel for increased friction and pleasure during sexual intimacy.

What does it accomplish? Via pulses of Laser energy into the collagen layer of the vaginal mucosa, concentrated thermal heating leads to collagen and elastin “shrinkage” and secondary regeneration producing tightening of the vaginal tissues. The shrinkage produces improved pressure on the “G-Spot” and increases stretch of the internal bulbs and crurae of the internal portion of the clitoris. Tightening also occurs along the base of the overlying bladder, with evidence that it additionally improves the pesky problem of minor urinary incontinence.

Treatment outcome is the complete remodeling of the vaginal tissue in addition to re-establishment of a firm "young like" vaginal tissue embedded with thick and long collagen fibers.

How does it do this? A Laser generator produces safe pulses of Laser energy delivered via a tube-shaped intra-vaginal device. These pulses place Laser energy via a microscopic laser-produced opening at intervals of several millimeters into the collagen under the dermis, the layer just underneath the vaginal skin. This causes a 360 degree symmetrical micro-contracture of the entire vaginal barrel, leading to overall tightening, including tightening of the upper vagina including support for the base of the bladder.

Who are candidates? Who are not candidates? Candidates: Women with minimal to moderate vaginal looseness or laxity- not severe enough to need a complete surgical repair (“Vaginoplasty”), but bothersome enough (less “grip”) to diminish sexual pleasure. Perfect candidates are: 1) women who have not yet had a child but either feel themselves “wide” inside, or with a partner with a small-sized penis; 2) women with laxity after childbirth who plan on another child/children and need “temporary” tightening until their final childbirth, after which they may undergo a permanent surgical tightening procedure if the problem persists; 3) women who will undergo a vaginoplasty (surgical tightening procedure) of the outer (lower)half of the vagina/vaginal floor, but also have noticeable widening in the far inner (upper) vagina (where a surgical pelvic floor tightening procedure traditionally cannot reach), frequently with a coexisting problem of occasional involuntary loss of urine, and who wish to avoid an in-hospital general anesthesia sometimes risky far upper-vaginal repair. 4) Women with mild urinary incontinence. 5) Women with only modest vaginal laxity and decent musculature, who wish to avoid a surgical procedure. Not Candidates: 1) Women with a significant pelvic floor vaginal laxity, involving significant widening and muscular separation- these women need a surgical repair and will be disappointed with a solely Laser procedure; 2) Women with significant urinary incontinence and/or prolapse: these women need a surgical repair/ “sling” or “tape” procedure.

Who (which health care professionals) should be doing the procedure? Who should not? Laser vaginal tightening should ideally be performed only by a surgeon who also is trained and skilled in the performance of Vaginoplasty and, hopefully, savvy in pelvic floor muscle physical therapy. A Board-Certified Gynecologist who additionally is skilled and certified in cosmetic and plastic vaginal pelvic floor work, and savvy in the usage of Laser for vaginal tightening is ideal, as (s)he is uniquely able to choose the right procedure for the right patient for the right reasons and is less inclined to (mis)use the Laser in women who truly need only pelvic floor PT, or in women who truly need surgery.

What is the Science? Laser utilizes pixel CO2 fractional pulsed light wave technology as a cutting, a tightening, or a resurfacing tool. In this instance laser waves exiting the tube 360 degrees at closely spaced intervals “drill” microscopic closely spaced micro punctures into the dermis, producing a mini-defect in the collagen that both contracts, producing shrinkage, and stimulates the collagen to aggressively grow, thus bulking up this layer. The technology has been utilized in Europe and Asia for > 5 years, and a wealth of data has accumulated verifying its effects and success.

How long does it last? Present data suggest that, with a “touch-up” in a month’s time, the effects are appreciated for ~2-3 years or more

Very best,

Michael P Goodman MD

FemiLift for Menopause

FemiLift and other vaginal lasers stimulate collagen formation. The technology has been adapted from that used for fractional laser facial peels. Collagen formation increases hydration in the tissues of the vagina. In fact, the most common thing I hear from menopausal women after this procedure is that their vaginal lubrication is much improved. Collagen formation also stiffens the subcutaneous tissues do a degree and improves mild cases of urinary incontinence if there is no significant prolapse of the bladder (cystocele), and enhances vaginal tightness. I have been providing these treatments quite frequently for the past few months and have been monitoring patients closely. I'm impressed with the quality of the results given the superficial nature of the treatments.

Obviously, the tightening and incontinence enhancement will not match results that I can achieve surgically, but it's a game changer for women who don't want surgery and offers them a noninvasive way to improve their sex life.

Most importantly, for the many breast cancer survivors women whose sex lives have been devastated by breast cancer and can't take estrogen, it's the only viable option for treating the crippling effects of vaginal atrophy.

Non-Surgical Vaginal Tightening

There are now three companies available in the US that use lasers inside the vagina to improve tissue tone and moisture.  Lasers can work for anyone who is perimenopausal or menopausal internally to improve vaginal moisture.  Most use vaginal estrogen cream or pills to achieve the same goal of increased moisture at a much cheaper cost.  Lasers do not have a US indication for vaginal tightening although they do so overseas. The three companies really want to market for vaginal tightening but are not allowed to say so just yet so they get around the issue by marketing treatments for atrophic vaginitis or dry vagina.  The treatments are done with very expensive machinery of basic CO2 or Erbium laser design (much like the ones used for faces).  However, special designed vaginal probes with mirrors and shiny surfaces are used to bend light to treat the vaginal walls by placing hundreds/thousands of micro holes that intend to stimulate collagen productions and increased blood flow .   Results are reported good by the companies.  It does not do significant tightening of the vagina that replaces surgery as far as I am able to determine.  I have done only two cases with these devices but have spoken with the most prolific users of these devices.

Personally I find the use of radio frequency to be superior to any of the vaginal lasers because it can treat the external labia and tighten it and reduce the "Camel Toes" that the lasers really cannot do.  I find the radio frequency treatments inside the vagina to be much superior also in terms of tightening effects, increased lubrication and moisture, and even reduction in leaky bladders.  The amazing thing is that the radio frequency effects can also help with orgasmic dysfunction.  The radio frequency results have been predictable and consistent.  In my practice I have been amazed at the results obtained using radio frequency in an extremely safe, comfortable manner with absolutely no downtime.  Of course, I am biased because I helped invent and develop the radio frequency device and have almost ten years of experience working with the technology.  Radio frequency devices for vaginal use will enter the US and European markets in May, 2015.  

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Red Alinsod, MD

Red Alinsod, MD
Laguna Beach OB/GYN

FemiLift candidates

Thank you for your question. Yes, FemiLift works for women in their 50’s and in menopause. It also works for women who are post-menopausal, post pregnancy, suffer from stress incontinence or looking for vaginal rejuvenations. Our patients have been really pleased with the results and you should have at least 3 treatments in order to see the full benefits. If you are interested, I suggest consulting with a qualified provider for a full consultation. 

Bruce E. Katz, MD