Has anyone had their artery damaged during a follow-up surgery to make breasts symmetrical? Mine was nicked today and terminated

This was from a diep surgery.

DIEP flap

Anytime one goes back in, there might be risk to the pedicle. This is a potential complication of any revision surgery. Best of luck with your recovery and long term results.

DIEP breast reconstruction

I would followup with your plastic surgeon, generally, depending on the history after some time the feeding blood vessel to the breast reconstructive flap may not be required, depending on whether the breast reconstruction was performed at the time of the initial mastectomy or in a 'delayed' manner after the initial mastectomy.. 

Hello!  Thank you for your question!  Without knowing the exact procedures that you were having don, it is difficult to comment on your issue.  However, this is always a risk, for any procedure, but especially with the microsurgical procedures, in which the vessels are very small.  

I would discuss your question with your surgeon as well as discuss any further options, if any.  Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD